British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-12-12, 03:01 PM

Hi all. Had this turn up. It has what looks like a nice crimp. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards
Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg (71.6 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg get-attachment.aspx.jpg (79.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg get-attachment.aspx.jpg (70.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg (70.2 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 13-05-23 at 12:09 PM.
Old 30-12-12, 06:02 PM

Hi Simon,

I think there is a rule about the number of uprights on the portcullis. There is a detailed thread about it somewhere. I haven't got time to look right now as i am taking my aunt to church. I will be back soon.

Your badge may have been repainted?

Phil
Old 30-12-12, 06:02 PM

Default IOW Rifles badge

Hi Simon,

Myself and Roger are on the IOW and probably see a great deal of duds and only the odd original. Lots of the Bric-a-Brac stores sell copies to the tourists. I know Roger has an original with known provenance. I have one with a crimp, like yours but I'm suspect of it. I also have a known original collar badge and the crispness of its detail is so much better than most cap badges I see. The easy give away with the poor copies is the detail of the vertical and horizontal lines of the portculis, as has been said.
WW1 badges were blackened bronze / brass, often the black is worn off but a deep rich brown patina is a reassuring sign. White metal ones were used later, as the unit existed into WW2. Earlier in the year I parted with a w.m. version to Andy Plewa, who was happy it was good, so there's another possible source of info.
I'm a novice collector in every sense, so wouldn't offer any cast iron advice on this subject. I think Roger previously commented in a thread and posted pictures of his badge, which might help you in comparing?
All I can add is that the IOW Rifles suffered heavy losses at Galipolli and again at Gazza, so not many original badges came back home - one sees a great many for sale, so must approach any example of the badge with doubt and suspicion. Even as a local, I wouldn't believe I had the real deal unless it came with other history and provenance from family.
I must say, as a novice, I too was disappointed at the lack of response from the all-knowing concerning your request for help in this thread, as I would have liked to get some reliable tips.

All the best,
Kevin.
Old 30-12-12, 06:28 PM
Former Member

Kevin,
long time, no chat! Hope you had a good Christmas and best wishes for 2013!

Simon,
hard to make a call on this one!! Has more good signs than bad, but I'd still not like to say one way or the other! The crimp means nothing as fakers cottoned on to adding these ages ago! The slider shape looks good as does the overall colour of the badge! 50/50 for me, which for a blackened badge is better that an outright "Fake/Copy" reply!

Happy New Year - Andy
Old 30-12-12, 07:01 PM

Hi chap's thanks for the input.

I was going to return it, but had a private message from a member who said it was exactly the same as his Great Grandfather who lived on the IOW.

So, here I am. It seems there's an opinion leaning on a possible good one. So I hope you don't mind Andy. I took the badge you posted as a good one, and spliced them together to make it easier to compare. I think the rear images look close enough for me to hold on to it for now.

I think I am going to keep it. It won't break the bank.

Cheers

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAstle.jpg (86.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IOW FRONT.jpg (75.7 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IOW REAR.jpg (71.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 30-12-12, 07:17 PM

[QUOTE=Kevin Elliott;194776]Hi Simon,

WW1 badges were blackened bronze / brass, often the black is worn off but a deep rich brown patina is a reassuring sign. White metal ones were used later, as the unit existed into WW2.

I'm a novice collector in every sense, so wouldn't offer any cast iron advice on this subject. I think Roger previously commented in a thread and posted pictures of his badge, which might help you in comparing?
All I can add is that the IOW Rifles suffered heavy losses at Galipolli and again at Gazza, so not many original badges came back home - one sees a great many for sale, so must approach any example of the badge with doubt and suspicion. Even as a local, I wouldn't believe I had the real deal unless it came with other history and provenance from family.

Kevin
Dont forget that a lot of the local guys made their own stampings when working at J.S. Whites [a local shipbuilder for you non-caulkheaders] during WWII, so it should be of no surprise that there are many variations.
As I said in the last thread on this, I have 6 examples but would only swear that 2 are 'right' as they have come down through the family.

For what its worth, the example currently being discussed somehow does'nt convince me.

Toby

Last edited by crest-insignia; 30-12-12 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 30-12-12, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
I too was disappointed at the lack of response from the all-knowing concerning your request for help in this thread
This appears to be happening more and more these days I read today a response to a new member saying that it doesn't matter how silly a question seems, post it and you will get an answer.

There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, all at varying levels of "expertise" and I for one have learnt a lot in my short time on here. Sadly, I have noticed that many posts are ignored to some extent. I try to help if I can, but my knowledge is limited. I can't help but notice an element of "snobbery" creeping in. SHAME

There, I've said it and if it offends you then I guess you are guilty as charged!
Old 30-12-12, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
This appears to be happening more and more these days I read today a response to a new member saying that it doesn't matter how silly a question seems, post it and you will get an answer.

There is a lot of knowledge on this forum, all at varying levels of "expertise" and I for one have learnt a lot in my short time on here. Sadly, I have noticed that many posts are ignored to some extent. I try to help if I can, but my knowledge is limited. I can't help but notice an element of "snobbery" creeping in. SHAME

There, I've said it and if it offends you then I guess you are guilty as charged!
Maybe members have got bored with having to offer an opinion on every badge bought and the inevitable I'll send it back for a refund . I certainly have.
Old 09-01-13, 01:11 PM

I'm not going to concern myself with the last post, as I hope there are still some members who don't mind passing a comment. I've been having trouble getting one of these and I'm on my third.

Any thoughts on this one.

Thanks for any opinions. I hope to put this one to bed........

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IOWR.jpg (52.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 09-01-13, 05:27 PM

From what I've read Simon, I would keep it.
Old 09-01-13, 05:33 PM

Cheers Gman, I hope there is a consensus, and I can finally sign this one off the list.

Thanks

Simon.
Old 10-01-13, 02:43 PM

Default i.o.w rifles

p.m sent
Old 04-03-21, 06:45 PM

Default Isle of Wight Rifles

I would be grateful if someone could give the attached the once over. Many thanks, Nick

IMG_0893.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg
Old 04-03-21, 06:55 PM

The BB top right is genuine, as is the chromed one. Obviously the chromed badge would not have been worn like that in service as evident from the wear under the plating.

The two on the left, top and bottom, are both fake.

So 50/50 hit rate for IOW Rifles.
Old 04-03-21, 07:54 PM

Thanks Luke but how on earth can you tell? Crimped slider on the BB I can understand, but the others.....?

I believe the chromed badge was worn by cadets on the IoW