British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-02-21, 10:25 AM

Default India General Service medal

Hi All
Is anybody able to tell me anything about this medal? I assume it is post-independence as there is no reference in the medal yearbook.
Please excuse the fact that I seem to have to reverse and obverse mixed up.
Thanks, cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_1324.jpg (53.2 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_1325.jpg (47.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 23-02-21, 10:49 AM

Default Medal

This clasp awarded for 180 days service between 1955-1956. The Naga Hill are in the far North-east on the Indian border between India and Myanmar (Burma). 1950 till 1997 .Ribbon is red with thin green vertical stripes.
Old 23-02-21, 02:29 PM

"After a series of armed conflicts and peace missions, the Government of India agreed to create the Naga Hills Tuensang Area (NHTA), a Union territory with a large degree of autonomy.

After further protests, violence and diplomatic discussions, the Government recognised Nagaland as a full-fledged State within the Union of India.[11] Since then, the Naga nationalism has co-existed with Indian nationalism.

Nagaland recorded more than 87% voter turnout in 2014 Indian general election which was highest voters turnout in India which Indian authorities consider as faith of Naga people in democracy of India." [from the invaluable Wikipedia]

One of several 'nationalist' movements which have arisen in post-Partition India. Hardly surprising, given the incredible ethnic, religious and cultural diversity of the subcontinent.
Old 23-02-21, 04:01 PM

Here is a pic of the ribbon Alex.
Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg india GSM 1947.jpg (3.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 23-02-21, 05:33 PM

Thanks everyone. Are these worth anything? I assume not a great deal but I have been given a small group of items dispose of for somebody and this is one.
Cheers,
Alex