British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-05-10, 05:58 PM

Default Suspect Uppingham OTC Badge

I recently purchased the Uppingham OSD badge below, however I was a little dubious before I got it as the colouration looked a bit odd in the photos on e-bay:

When it arrived I was even more concerned as the front looked to be quite yellow on the raised areas, such as along the letters in the bottom ‘Uppingham’ title, and the back seemed to have too much verdigris, which looked as though it had possibly been deliberately applied. As I was not happy that the badge was genuine, I quickly returned it for a refund, but seeing the one on another thread here I am now having second thoughts!?

Like the one badgecollector posted to the other thread, the badge I bought had an overlaid ‘Uppingham’ scroll, though it did not seem to have the distinct traces of the word ‘Leicestershire’ showing through on the back as that one does. As I have already said, the one I had had a yellowish colouring in parts, which was actually even more pronounced on the back beneath all the verdigris, whereas badgecollector’s one looks to be the nice brown colour you would expect an OSD badge to be. My question is - have I been over hasty in sending this badge back, or was I right to be suspicious that it was probably not an original Uppingham OSD? Any thoughts or comments on things would be gratefully received - many thanks.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 26-05-10 at 08:19 AM.

Tags
otc, uppingham