British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-16, 05:43 PM

Default need help with lost military men from 1790's

Hi all
I could really use some help with a find.

In 1790 there was a treaty signed by the Spanish and the English near here, i have found what i believe to be a member of this treaty, his head sits in a cave with a empty box and this button.
The box appears to be a old create but is similar to the old boxes they call indian boxes and because it is in a cave with just a head, it is a indian burial cave.
the cave appears to have been filled in with gravel and has a burn of earth blocking the entrance.
I tried to get the Canadian heritage people to help me years ago but they have there head buried so far up there ass they cant see the light.
A logging company is heading straight for the sight so it will not be long before the stuff vanishes in the name of progress.
Old 19-12-16, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hello badgeguy, I am not clear about your request, if indeed there is a request in this post?
Old 19-12-16, 06:34 PM

Hello Badgeguy,

This is the second most interesting thread you have posted, like Bill, I am not sure what it is you are seeking and I do wonder what a logging company are going to do to the contents of a cave ?

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 20-12-16, 12:15 AM

I want to put the photo of the button but cant figure it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ancor11.jpg (61.5 KB, 51 views)
Old 20-12-16, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hello badgeguy, Your image is posted. Are you asking for identification of the button?
Old 20-12-16, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

It's a naval anchor.
Old 20-12-16, 01:43 PM

This button has been queried today in another message as part of a group of 3 buttons.
It was indentified as a 'commercial' button, (but I am not so sure myself)
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30752

Last edited by btns; 20-12-16 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added link to other thread
Old 21-12-16, 02:43 AM

The button i have seen is sitting just under a box in a cave and there is a skull next to it.
I feel it may go missing as a logging company is going to log the entrance soon.
I think it was one of many sentry's or lookouts for the English or Spanish.
i think before they met there demise, they where put in these sites with a box of provisions as look outs, this is something that was apparently done in the area by Spanish in the 1700's but the problem is, it goes against the written word.
this web has a picture of a indian bentwood box in a indian long house, according to the powers that be it proves the natives made these boxes.
http://www.donsmaps.com/bentwoodchests.html
If you look closely it looks like a board, not a box. this would mean it was later made into a box.
look at the items above the box in red and you can see swards hanging on the wall, I ask you, because these are in the long house, does this mean they swards where made by the natives.
Old 21-12-16, 01:49 PM

Standard procedure when finding a cave with a human skull in it is to inform the police...

But seriously, if this is real then you should inform the police. They will ensure the right people take a look at the scene, and if it is indeed a historical site I'm sure it will get looked after properly - and if it is First Nations related then they will certainly want to know about it.

I wouldn't let the police know that you've known about a human skull in a cave for years though, might not go over too well with them.
Old 21-12-16, 03:00 PM

Default Wow

Wow
Old 21-12-16, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Standard procedure when finding a cave with a human skull in it is to inform the police...

But seriously, if this is real then you should inform the police. They will ensure the right people take a look at the scene, and if it is indeed a historical site I'm sure it will get looked after properly - and if it is First Nations related then they will certainly want to know about it.

I wouldn't let the police know that you've known about a human skull in a cave for years though, might not go over too well with them.
This is real, but i cant seem to load any pictures any more, go here for evidence.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30752

I did inform the cops about another set of caves similar to this one years ago, i even took them to see them.
The cops told me the entrance had been partly sealed with blasted pile of rocks which did not appear to be native in nature. That kind of statement did not go over well with there boss, he set them straight.
The problem is, any cave with bones is automatically labeled a Indian burial cave.
Any human remains found in the area no mater what ethnic background is handed to the Indians for repatriation. I learned this the hard way.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=58734
The deal with the boxes is, in the 1800's, the indians had this style of boxes in there possession, so there for, they made them and if anyone thinks other wise, no matter what the evidence, they are insane.
Old 21-12-16, 06:01 PM

I am having a real problem getting my head around this
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgeguy View Post
In 1790 there was a treaty signed by the Spanish and the English near here,
Where is "here"?
What treaty was signed? Is there a website with some details?
What were the Spanish doing in Canada?
What is a "member of a treaty"?

Eddie
Old 21-12-16, 06:12 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nootka_Crisis
Old 21-12-16, 07:34 PM

One thing that I don't like about the GWF is when the moderators pull any thread that strays away from the Great War and I think we are much more relaxed on here but I do wonder what relevance this thread has to British and Commonwealth military badges ?

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-12-16, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

I am in agreement Peter. To date there is little substantiation of any of the claims other than vague references.
badgeguy, could you draw this thread back into the fold? Specify the connections to badges please?
There are some serious issues here, as disturbing a burial site in Canada, no matter the ancestory is subject to legal sanctions.