British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-12-11, 02:54 PM

Default No 2 Commando

hi,
i'm new here and new to collecting commando items. can anyone tell me if this was any good? i missed it on a dealer's website but didn't commit because I wasn't sure it looked right. Was this the officers' type?
thank you
dave

[Admin message: images removed due to copright infringment. Please read the forum rules.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forum_rules.htm
"Do not post copyrighted material." - that includes all images on the internet that you have not personally created - they are someone else's intellectual property]
Old 10-12-11, 03:13 PM

I'me not an expert on commando items but I think the officers version is usually embroidered on black material, I would have given that one a miss,
Look forward to further comments, Best regards Kevin.
Old 10-12-11, 03:16 PM

I am looking forward to replies to this question! Welcome to the forum. I have always beleived the badge were also manufactured, not just hand made in the early days. On looking at this backing it looks a solid fill. Not like the ebay versions. Also the fastenings at the top joining the S to the knife look different.
Also the seller is top draw.

Regards ted
Old 10-12-11, 05:37 PM

thank you kevin and ted for the information.

as a collector starting out could you recommended any sites? i have been told to be very careful
regards
dave
Old 10-12-11, 06:40 PM

Hi Dave, and welcome,
I always like Geoff Newmans stuff
Cheers,
Pieter
Old 10-12-11, 07:03 PM

I saw this one 'in the flesh', and it did look well made, heavier construction than the common fakes seen on Ebay
Lee
Old 10-12-11, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter View Post
Hi Dave, and welcome,
I always like Geoff Newmans stuff
Cheers,
Pieter
Me too, Good reputable dealer in my experience. Kevin
Old 11-12-11, 10:18 AM

thank you for the opinions and advice, i am going to have to get my head around this collecting area!

I thought about getting some basic bits to start with eg . some combined ops anchor badges. does anyone know where these might be available? I had a look on the gnmilitaria site you recommended but couldn't find any there.
regards
Dave
Old 11-12-11, 11:09 AM

Dave I've sent you a PM. There is a few bits out there but nothing too exciting! Can ayone post a few pictures of the ebay versions of the officers cap badge?

Thanks
Old 11-12-11, 12:23 PM

Geoff is a top bloke! I'd be interested in way this thread develops as I don't know much about these metal cap badges

Jack
Old 12-12-11, 12:10 AM

Dave, you can try chairbornemilitaria.com, Jack has some Combined Ops formation patches listed. Good luck, Donovan
Old 04-01-12, 12:21 AM

back to the good old debate on No2 Commando cap badge!

just been browsing the Commando Veterans website and noticed this cap badge of 6 Troop in Dec 1942. this is the same version that this thread was started

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoG...+copy.jpg.html
Old 04-01-12, 08:06 PM

This is a quote of the late Lt. Bob Bishop of No 2 commando when asked about the 2 commando badges:

"1. The badge always had the fighting knife pointing downwards.

2. Yes, the story that the O.R.s badges with just the knife on a black background were made from spoons is correct. It was a tedious job, - (spoons were not provided).

3. Officers simply put one of the S.S. initials and knife shoulder patches onto their headgear. This was made from silver wire thread on black felt cloth. All ranks had to purchase this insignia themselves from unit H.Q.

4. The current example of the metal S.S. initials and fighting knife pointing downwards is one currently available and seems to be worn by all 2 Commando veterans when they are at veterans events.

5. If this sounds confused, the rule was that officers got to wear the S.S. and knife on their beret and O.R.s wore the knife only. This rule was not changed during the period of 2 Commandos existence (1940-1945)
"

JB
Old 05-01-12, 06:57 AM

Just to contradict this, there’s lots of WWII period photos on the CVA website of 2 Cdo officers wearing ‘this pattern’ of metal cap badge not the bullion cloth ‘sleeve badge’. Here are just a few:

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoG...choll.jpg.html

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoG...ister.jpg.html

http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoG...field.jpg.html

This selection also look they came straight out of stores and were not lovingly crafted from spoons….

The veteran badge Bob is referring to is the ‘association’ version differentiated by having the word “COMMANDO” scrolled over the top

A 2 Cdo vet has told me that all the time he was in the unit from Spring 43 to Disbandment no-body made their own OR badges, they all came straight out of stores

Cheers
Belly
Old 05-01-12, 07:38 AM

Hi Belly

And to add to the confusion Newman is wearing a simple dagger!
http://www.commandoveterans.org/cdoG...an_VC.jpg.html

May be there is still hope for my dagger badge, I also saw it listed as badge of a 2 cdo vet Reg Coy who also served in Albania and Yougoslavia, listed by his son.http://www.combinedops.com/INSIGNIA%20IN%20USE.htm
http://www.combinedops.com/PHOTOS%20...doCapBadge.jpg
Cheers

JB

Last edited by HamandJam; 30-06-12 at 07:04 AM.