British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-05-12, 03:41 PM

Default British Army Collar Badges

Just found this e-book free download yesterday on a website while searching for illustrations of British Army badges: "British Army Collar Badges 1881 - Present. An Illustrated Guide for Collectors", by Colin Churchill and Ray Westlake, published by Arms & Armour Press, 1986. It's also one of the few A&A Press that I haven't got. The pdf is about 67.5KB, which is much bigger than can be downloaded here, so if anyone wants a copy I can email you the file as an attachment. Also, if I remember what the URL was I can at least post that. It takes a long time to download from the website though.

David

PS: Found the link: http://www.ebook3000.com/British-Arm...86-_38407.html

Last edited by David Tremain; 12-05-12 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added URL link
Old 12-05-12, 04:01 PM

Default More badge links

If you type in your search term in the Search Bar you will also find a link to:

"Cap Badges and Insignia of the Canadian Army 1953 - 1973", by Roy Thompson

http://www.ebook3000.com/Cap-Badges-...73-_94622.html

David

Sorry, I just tried to download this link and it came back 'File Not Found'.

Last edited by David Tremain; 12-05-12 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added apology for link not working; typo
Old 12-05-12, 04:57 PM

Default Problems with file

I can't seem to send the file as my computer's saying it's too big to send as an attachment and I don't seem to be able to compress it. I think it might be best if you download it yourselves from the URL I attached. As I say, it does take a long while (about 10 minutes, so go and have a cuppa while it does its stuff). Ignore the stuff on the website about downloading some other software. It's not necessary; just click on the pdf link. My apologies to all, particularly Marc and Peter who have alreday been in touch. However, do let me know if you're successful.

Regards,
David

Last edited by David Tremain; 12-05-12 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-05-12, 05:20 PM

The Canadian one seems allready removed from the site.

Just a remark: compressing a PDF is not a usefull thing to try. PDF is allready a compressed format in itself.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 12-05-12, 05:32 PM

Henk, it looks like the only way would be to use WinZip, but I don't have the software.
David
Old 12-05-12, 05:41 PM

I just can't win today! Marc (54Bty) informs me that the link I posted takes you to another page altogether. I tried it and it did the same for me. Bummer! Here was I thinking, I'll do everyone a favour and post the link in case you want to copy the book and - Bingo! Murphy strikes again. If I ever get hold of that b****r I'll...Let's not go there. He should be put on a charge! CO's Orders, or whatever.

Maybe it's time for me to quit today. Again, my apologies.

David
Old 12-05-12, 07:01 PM

David - don't fret - I've found it (and wouldn't have without your original post). I googled: "British Army Collar Badges 1881 - Present. An Illustrated Guide for Collectors PDF" and ended up at a site:

http://rapidlibrary.com/files/britis..._35221368.html

after navigating the page(s) you end up with an express (pay to download option) or the free option - which reports to take 29mins. After a couple of clicks and with no money spent and approx. 5mins of downloading (it is almost 66MB) I have my copy!

Thanks
Old 13-05-12, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Henk, it looks like the only way would be to use WinZip, but I don't have the software.
David
I think you misunderstood my message. There is no software that can compress an PDF file which much success. It is allready compressed by itself. In theory it would be possible that there is software with a better compression algorythm, but it will only squeeze out a few percents. Not realy worth the trouble. I used zip on it and it went from 69121719 bytes to 68433218 bytes. This is a gain of about 1%.

Same for JPEG files. You can only make them smaller using a program that knows how to manipulate JPEG (like GIMP and PhotoShop), but then you will loose information (the picture quality becomes worse). Lossless compression has it's maximum and can not compress further.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 13-05-12, 10:21 AM

This is a nice little book and worth getting hold of but it's far from definitive and was published to fill a gap in badge collecting books.

The illustrations in the original are actual size which is useful, they may not be in the downloaded version.
Old 13-05-12, 10:58 AM

Thanks to David for posting this. A great little book!

Perhaps the forum should have a page with links to similar gems?

Cheers, Neil
Old 13-05-12, 04:18 PM

Glad some of you were successful, anyway. Marc, maybe you can try the link that Woofy posted.

Thanks, Henk, for clarifying the compression of files. It's always been a bit of a mystery to me.

I haven't compared the images in the downloaded file with Colin Churchill's big book, although some of the images in the big book are a bit dark and hard to see details - a bit like the reprints of K&K. Anyway, as I was saying to Marc earlier in an email exchange, it's often handy to have electronic references at hand. The sort of thing that could be added to a Blackberry or whatever and taken to shows for an on-the-spot reference. I also found a link to download Rossignoli's WW2 badge books, but I haven't tried them. I seem to recall a requirement to sign up or register for something or download some software I didn't want/trust so no, I'm not going to post the link, not after yesterday's fiasco!

As to the Forum having a section for links to such publications, in my experience these links aren't always active after a certain period of time, or the URL changes. The number of times in my former professional life when I've sent people links to current documents online, only to find that either they or I can't access them later on. It's a nice idea, but perhaps not practical in the long term. What do the Moderators think? Mike? Bill? Alan?

Cheers,
David

Last edited by David Tremain; 13-05-12 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Added more material.
Old 13-05-12, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tremain View Post
Glad some of you were successful, anyway. Marc, maybe you can try the link that Woofy posted. David
Well I did try it, and now I have lots of contacts for available women from all over the world. As for the book not a chance, I was asked to download 3 different versions of some free softwear or purchase the same, while all the time I was being given the above contact details, which I found when I closed the numerous open windows.

As I mentioned to David I may borrow the book from a library and B&Q it.

Marc
Old 13-05-12, 05:19 PM

Marc,
Everything you describe there is familure, I was just about to give up when I got a list of the "free" programes, most of which I had never heard of before.
The only one that looked familure was Adobe Reader X and it had something like pdf. I clicked on it, and the download began.
About three cups of coffee later the download finished and, yes, I have now got the book.
To open it I go to Adobe Reader on my desktop, select "British Army Collar Badges", and it appears on the screen.
Thank you David for the link.
Eddie
Old 13-05-12, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Most, if not all of those books 'linked' on that site are still in copyright so it's illegal to make a copy by downloading?

I would be careful of 'software' downloaded from such places too