British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-08-15, 12:16 PM

Default Regimental height requirements(WW1)?

Looking through some Great War service records and a few thought's occurred to me regarding height. The majority I'm researching are from inner London so obviously given the era and the social factors tend to be on the shorter side, not bantam's but probably average and below-only one of them is a giant in comparison being a few inches taller than my height of 5ft 8.
My understanding is that certain regiment's or probably more correctly, job's within, might have had particular height requirements. Does anyone know what those regiment's, post's might be?

Thanks

Allison
Old 30-08-15, 02:44 PM

Although this is not about the Great War it is about height. When my grandfather was called up during WW2 he originally wanted to join the RAF as they had vacancies for butchers (he and his family were pork butchers by trade). However, the RAF, in its infinite wisdom decided he was too short - he was 5'4". He ended up joining the RA as a Gunner.

Now, I can understand the Guards wanting men of a certain height (I think in the Queen's Company, Grenadier Guards you have to be 6'), but RAF butchers? Go figure!

David
Old 30-08-15, 02:59 PM

Too short to be a butcher?! how big are their bacon slicers??

I guess that height makes sense for a gunner, in fact I'm sure RA are one of the regiments that I'm thinking of in regard to my WW1 query, must have read it somewhere, but annoyingly I am struggling to remember where!

Alli
Old 30-08-15, 03:04 PM

I've read that before about Grenadier Guards, is that still the case, surely not?
(convenient excuse to go away and google guards- if you'll excuse the phrase)
Old 30-08-15, 03:25 PM

GREAT BRITAIN;
The average height of the recruit back in 1914 would have been around 5ft 5in, with anyone above 5ft 7in something more of a rarity, whilst there we many more somewhat 'shorter' than your average height. So much so that, later on, they created 'Bantam' battalions for men between 5ft-5ft 3in in height.
Average weight would have been around 8 stone.
From;Tommy1418.com

During the First World War, the British Army raised battalions in which the normal minimum height requirement for recruits was reduced from 5 ft 3 in (160 cm) to 5 ft (150 cm). This enabled otherwise healthy young men to enlist.
A bantam, in British Army usage, was a soldier of below the British Army's minimum regulation height of 5 ft 3 in (160 cm).
Wikipedia.

AUSTRALIA;
During the course of the First World War standards for age, minimum height and minimum chest measurement for enlistment in the AIF were altered.
The requirements in August 1914 were 19–38 years, height of 5ft 6in and chest measurement of 34 inches. In June 1915 the age range and minimum height requirements were changed to 18–45 years and 5ft 2in, with the minimum height being lowered again to 5ft in April 1917. During the first year of the war approximately 33 percent of all volunteers were rejected.
*On enlistment recruits were examined for BC or D tattooed on their skin. These were British army tattoos. BC stood for bad character and D for deserter.
Australia War Memorial.

CANADA;
The Canadian soldiers were initially to be at least 5 feet 3 inches tall and have a chest measuring 33 ½ inches. Gunners had to be larger, at a minimum of 5 feet 7 inches tall, to account for the heavy work of feeding the artillery pieces. These requirements steadily dropped throughout the war, as more men were needed for overseas service.
The age limit for recruits was to be between 18 (later 19) and 45, but overage soldiers and teenagers lied about their age.
The Canadian Encyclopedia.

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.

Last edited by Voltigeur; 30-08-15 at 03:33 PM.
Old 30-08-15, 03:44 PM

Thank you for that, interesting to note the Australian recruits being checked for British army tattoo's, that was not something I was aware of.

Allison
Old 30-08-15, 04:52 PM

I was in The Queens Company Grenadier Guards, at 6"1" I was a midget.
Andy
Old 30-08-15, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
I was in The Queens Company Grenadier Guards, at 6"1" I was a midget.
Andy
blimey Andy, I really hope your not exaggerating
Alli
Old 30-08-15, 05:19 PM

Red face

No, I was. I've heard though that really small blokes were allowed to join the Welsh Guards. Especially those with webbed feet.
Andy
Old 30-08-15, 05:47 PM

Yep, my old man was WG, he's only 5' 11" & a half - No. 3 Coy " The Little Iron Men".
Then again, one of his brothers was 6'4"/6"5', 1 WG Prince of Wales Coy - makes you wonder how tall they'd have been if they hadn't been dragged up in the 'tween wars Deptford slums.
Old 30-08-15, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
No, I was. I've heard though that really small blokes were allowed to join the Welsh Guards. Especially those with webbed feet.
Andy
Someone's in trouble!
Old 30-08-15, 06:00 PM

Not really - those webbed feet mean they can never catch him.
Old 30-08-15, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Yep, my old man was WG, he's only 5' 11" & a half - No. 3 Coy " The Little Iron Men".
Then again, one of his brothers was 6'4"/6"5', 1 WG Prince of Wales Coy - makes you wonder how tall they'd have been if they hadn't been dragged up in the 'tween wars Deptford slums.
They didn't do badly then(I know Deptford well, I used to be a Bermondsey girl)

Alli
Old 30-08-15, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
Not really - those webbed feet mean they can never catch him.
Your in trouble too!!
Old 30-08-15, 06:25 PM

Is there any distinction between a man 5' 2" and 6' 2" when it comes down to it?
Tony! (Somewhere in between)