British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-13, 07:13 PM

As well as the options that have been pointed out, the medal forum can be of a great help when you find your MIC. They will be able to help you decipher the information you are confronted with..... I will add that both the GWF and the medal forum are very strict that you stick to the topic, unlike here, which is a little more relaxed IMO. One of the strengths of this forum I feel.

I still think that Ancestry is your best option. Not only can you get the military history of your chosen person, but you can also find out where they were born, married, died etc. They have much more than just WW1 records. As an example, I now have the entry for my paternal Grandfathers entitlement the the GSM with Palestine clasp.

I consider it one of the most important tools in all the research that I do.

What Lee has said is true. The info. is there, but as has been said before can be hard to find and sometimes a little conflicting. If you go back to some of the very early threads on this forum, it can be quite clear that as knowledge has been expanded some items that where once considered wrong are now considered right and vice versa. Everyone of us has what we consider to be our area of expertise and sometimes we fall out of our comfort zone and need a little guidance, even if it is a link to an earlier thread. As I said earlier it can be a little frustrating when you start a thread and it is ignored by the experts in that field and not five minutes later someone else has the same problem and everyone is all over it.

Phil, you are not allowed to leave, you still have a lot to contribute. Another of the strengths of this forum is the varied membership. Everyone is valid here.

Kind regards,

Andy
Old 18-08-13, 08:25 PM

Default Join the British Medals Forum.

Join the British Medals Forum and just like this forum you will find the members very helpful and knowledgeable. PY.

http://www.britishmedalforum.com
Old 18-08-13, 09:33 PM

Phil, I do understand your frustration and have been where you are many times. My knowledge is no way near as vast as many members here, but if I can add anything to a topic, I will reply.

I have had my replies lambasted more times than I care to count on some forums. So be it. I don't normally get twisted over it but will speak my mind. So again, I understand where you are coming from.

Again, to Colin, if you have any information you can share with us in regards to names, units served, etc, it would be a huge help.

I am not that versed on British research as it seems every WWI pair or Trio I have to a British soldier, his papers did not survive. I know the Canadian System pretty good.

I am a member of the Great War Forum, British Medals forum as well, these are great sites for help researching the soldiers of WWI. I would tend to lean more toward GWF as BMF are very helpful, but they can be rather strict if it does not involve medals.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 19-08-13, 07:50 AM

Hi guys

Sorry for the late reply.
As I stated in my original post, I am trying to research my families involvement in the WW1 armed forces. The family name of "Secretan" is/was a protected surname, originally from Switzerland. It was passed down through my Grandmother. I have learnt, that I am related to several of the Secretans living in the UK. I have googled the name, and come across several mentions of the family name in regards to soldiers fighting in The Great War. But the info I have been able to access is sparse. If I can establish a familial link, my next move would be to further study these individuals war records.
I was hoping it might be possible, through Army records, to also get hold of the Parents' names, and adresses at the time, and correlate with the little information I already have.

As was pointed out in this thread, Norway is a difficult place to access information from.

Any help, guidance, addresses are very welcome!!

Thanks

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"

Last edited by ubervamp; 19-08-13 at 09:11 AM.
Old 19-08-13, 02:08 PM

G. W. Secretan was a well known photographer in Tufnell Park around the time of the Great War. He seems to have been appointed the official photographer to the Artist's Rifles. I have quite a few photographs in my collection that were taken by him or by people who worked for him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sec.jpg (50.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 19-08-13, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
G. W. Secretan was a well known photographer in Tufnell Park around the time of the Great War. He seems to have been appointed the official photographer to the Artist's Rifles. I have quite a few photographs in my collection that were taken by him or by people who worked for him.
Hi

That's very interesting! My father worked as a professional photographer for many years! And I know my Grandmother was living in London around the turn of the century. Could have been a cousin of hers. Something to look into

Cheers

Colin

"One day I'll leave you, a phantom to lead you in the Summer, to join the Black Parade"
Old 19-08-13, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubervamp View Post
Hi

That's very interesting! My father worked as a professional photographer for many years! And I know my Grandmother was living in London around the turn of the century. Could have been a cousin of hers. Something to look into

Cheers

Colin
Have you looked at the census?

The 1911 one is now available online and you can work back at ten year intervals.

Ancestry.co.uk often has free access days, or you could go the whole hog and pay:

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/offers/...57&o_sch=Email

With a rare name like Secretan you ought to be able to place them all.
Old 19-08-13, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post

The 1911 one is now available online and you can work back at ten year intervals.

Ancestry.co.uk often has free access days, or you could go the whole hog and pay:

Hi - I didn't know that was available online. I'll check it out
Thnx

Colin

Old 19-08-13, 07:40 PM

14 Secretans on the MIC list
6 service records surviving
5 pension records surviving
2 KIA one from Royal Sussex & the other from Herts Regt was 2nd Lt Reginald Herbert Secretan from Hemel Hempstead believe it or not, I have this pic of his name on the Menin Gate, his records have survived,
Wilf.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Menin Herts.jpg (62.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 19-08-13, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orasot View Post
14 Secretans on the MIC list
6 service records surviving
5 pension records surviving
2 KIA one from Royal Sussex & the other from Herts Regt was 2nd Lt Reginald Herbert Secretan from Hemel Hempstead believe it or not, I have this pic of his name on the Menin Gate, his records have survived,
Wilf.
Thanks Wilf

I've heard the name Herbert mentioned in family context. Definitely something I need to investigate further! Thnx for the pic

Colin

Old 23-08-13, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Here is your chance Ubervamp!

This weekend is a free access weekend on Ancestry.co.uk

FREE ACCESS*
All our UK Census Records
Ends 26 August — Search Now!

Have you been enjoying your free time with the 1911 Census? Take things further this Bank Holiday weekend with free access to all our UK census records!*

If you've already found relatives in 1911, start by looking for them in the 1901 Census. Then work your way back through the generations, all the way to the first census in 1841.
Old 23-08-13, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Here is your chance Ubervamp!

This weekend is a free access weekend on Ancestry.co.uk

FREE ACCESS*
All our UK Census Records
Ends 26 August — Search Now!

Have you been enjoying your free time with the 1911 Census? Take things further this Bank Holiday weekend with free access to all our UK census records!*

If you've already found relatives in 1911, start by looking for them in the 1901 Census. Then work your way back through the generations, all the way to the first census in 1841.

Cheers!

Thanks for the heads-up!
I'll definitely be checking that out!!

Colin

Old 23-08-13, 09:50 PM

ubervamp, there is also one Secretan listed in the Library and Archives Canada database for Soldiers of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF):
Name: SECRETAN, AUBREY HERBERT
Regimental number(s): 2866
Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 8759 - 58
Date of Birth: 01/02/1890
Attestation paper: Front of form - Back of form
If he is one of the men you are looking for, my pages here can help you in starting your research on him: Researching Canadian Soldiers of the First World War
Old 23-08-13, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regimentalrogue View Post
ubervamp, there is also one Secretan listed in the Library and Archives Canada database for Soldiers of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF):
Name: SECRETAN, AUBREY HERBERT
Regimental number(s): 2866
Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 8759 - 58
Date of Birth: 01/02/1890
Attestation paper: Front of form - Back of form
If he is one of the men you are looking for, my pages here can help you in starting your research on him: Researching Canadian Soldiers of the First World War
Thanks!

There's every chance he's of my clan, so I'll follow that that up I know there is a Canadian link somewhere.
I really appreciate the help!

Cheers

Colin

Old 23-08-13, 11:22 PM

Colin.

Keep smiling.

Snakk snart re the badges.

Regards

Brian