British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-09-09, 06:33 AM

Default ATTRIBUTED GROUP OF WW1 OFFICERS BADGES

Several weeks’ back I traded for a few officer bronze badges from a local collector. Although I was happy with the lot, I kept at him if he had any other items. He eventually told me he had picked up a little lot of items in a named box. If I was interested I could have the whole collection including the box.
I bought the lot and googled the name on the box. To my surprise I found the chap and so I set about researching him further. What I found was to me amassing, the badges all fitted with the service details of the name. Therefore a group of badges attributed to a First World War officer.
The following is a brief description
bc

Lt. Eric Hammond Beaumont Burkitt

Joined the corps (inns of court) 12/11/15, number 7411 and served in 6 & 5 companies, and attained the rank of Lance Corporal. He then went on to No 11 Officer Cadet Battalion 7th May 1916 and was commissioned into the Manchester Regiment 4th September 1916.

He served with the Manchester Regiment and was attached to the Royal Flying Corps listed as a Flying Officer (Observer) serving in France and attaining the rank of Lieutenant.

He then transfers back to the Manchester Rgt where he seems to have served through until 1921. His medal card however says he applied for his medals in 1922 and it says he was on the Reserve of Officers and pair to be issued by the Air Ministry.
His permanent address was 35 Kensington Avenue, Victoria Park, Manchester

From the War Office,
20th September, 1916.
REGULAR FORCES.
INFANTRY.
Manch. R.
The undermentioned cadets to be temp. 2nd Lts. (on prob.) (attd.) : —
5 Sept. 1916.
Eric Hammond Beaumont Burkitt.

War Office,
6th December, 1916.
REGULAR FORCES.
The undermentioned temp. 2nd Lieuts. (attached) (unless otherwise stated) are transferred to Service Bns., with seniority shown against their names: —
INFANTRY.
SERVICE BATTALIONS.
Manch R.-E. H. B. Burkitt. 5th Sept, 1916.

War Office,
8th September, 1917.
REGULAR FORCES.
ROYAL FLYING CORPS.
Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are made: —
Flying Officers (Observers).—Temp. 2nd Lt. E. H. B. Burkitt, Manch. R., with seniority from 4th Apr. 1917, and to be transfd. to R.F.C. Gen. List.

War Office,
28th-March, 1918.
REGULAR FORCES.
The undermentioned Candidates, nominated for Commissions in the Regular Army under paragraph 3 of Army Order 295 of 1916, as amended by Army Orders 167, 293, and 369 of 1917, and 81 of 1918, to be 2nd Lts. 29th Mar. 1918: —
WITH SENIORITY AS STATED AGAINST THEIR NAMES.
INFANTRY.
Manch. R.—Temp. 2nd Lt. Eric Hammond Beaumont Burkitt, from R.F.C. 5th July 1917.

War Office,
28th May, 1919.
REGULAR FORCES,
INFANTRY.
The undermentioned 2nd Lts. to be Lts. : —
Manch. R.—E. H. B. Burkitt. 5th Jan. 1919.,

War Office,
7th February, 1921
REGULAR FORCES.
INFANTRY.
Manch. R.—Lt. E. H. B. Burkitt resigns his commn. 8th Feb. 1921
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN7660.jpg (34.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7661.jpg (54.8 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7662.jpg (46.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7664.jpg (52.0 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7665.jpg (69.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN7667.jpg (54.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-09-09, 04:38 PM

Smile Group of badges

What a lovely find, there's still some to be had, it's not all on ebay . . !

Please don't ever be tempted to split them up, many dealers do this and it is in my opinion a real shame, these badges tell the man's story during and after the Great War.
Old 11-09-09, 11:44 PM

hi son
thanks for your comments.
no, i will never split them up. i now intend to do some further research on him, try and get a photo of him and his medals are out there somwhere.
bc