British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-13, 08:41 AM

Default ARCTIC MEDAL

At last!
Old 26-02-13, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORISKANY View Post
At last!
Agreed but nearly 70 years too late! and by far too late to say thank you to the vast majority who have long since passed away!

Last edited by sailorbear; 26-02-13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 26-02-13, 04:02 PM

Yes. This, and the "Bomber Command" clasp...so well earned and long overdue.
Old 26-02-13, 04:22 PM

I'm very much in two minds about this, while not for a moment disputing the bravery of both groups I wonder why for instance the Rats of Tobruk , The Chindits , The Malta garrison or the LRDG and many many people who only received a theatre star don't also get extra recognition. Being honest about it Bomber Command already have the Air Crew Europe medal and the Arctic convoy survivors all qualified for the Atlantic Star . My point is , without taking anything away from those brave men , where does it end?
Old 26-02-13, 04:49 PM

Battle of Britain pilots have a BofB clasp and the 8th Army has one for the Africa Star, so why not?
David
Old 26-02-13, 05:01 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I think clasps would have been a very good idea for both WW1 and WW11. I do agree that some like Frank Richards may have had some very long medal ribbons to fit them all on but it would have been more reflective of their efforts in both conflicts.
Old 26-02-13, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMEVMBEA1 View Post
I'm very much in two minds about this, while not for a moment disputing the bravery of both groups I wonder why for instance the Rats of Tobruk , The Chindits , The Malta garrison or the LRDG and many many people who only received a theatre star don't also get extra recognition. Being honest about it Bomber Command already have the Air Crew Europe medal and the Arctic convoy survivors all qualified for the Atlantic Star . My point is , without taking anything away from those brave men , where does it end?
Why should it end? why should'nt people be recognised for their part in specific operations or regions and not just by a generic "theatre" medal? Or should we just say no Afganistan, Iraq, Gulf, Sierra Leone or Falklands medal, just another clasp to a GSM?
Old 26-02-13, 06:00 PM

Take a look here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...=feeds-newsxml

At the close of WW2 the King decreed there would be no more campaign medals awarded for WW2 so how can a 2012 government award a medal in his name in direct conflict with his known wishes?

There is also the problem that the medal regulations do not allow the award of more than 5 stars to any one man - so will some have to give up a star to get one?

Much better to allow the convoy seaman to accept the Soviet medal with unrestricted permission to wear. Ahh but of course there's no more Soviet Union. Real bag of worms.

Eddie
Old 26-02-13, 06:06 PM

I wonder how long it will be before "replacements" start appearing on internet auction sites?
Old 26-02-13, 06:08 PM

I remember my grandfather telling me years ago that there had been plans for a Russiam Convoy Star. One of his friends, a man named Arthur Lord, was part of a family business that had received a contract to produce the medal ribbon. Apparently when the medal was cancelled, the company was ordered to burn all of the ribbon.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 26-02-13, 06:27 PM

I applied and received the Arctic Emblem a few years back for my late Uncle. Will have to apply for this one as well. I also got the Newfoundland Volunteer service medal . Was about to get them mounted but now will wait for this one. Cheers Brian
Old 26-02-13, 06:56 PM

I fear it will become more of a collectors item than anything else.

Far too late to really mean anything.
Old 26-02-13, 09:42 PM

I am sorry I do not agree with the issuing of either of these, I don't doubt they were brave but if needed a clasp would have sufficed for both, but as said it was decreed no more stars, but to gain points this government (in a time of austerity) have issued what is technically a "disallowable medal". Not only that as said some men will need to give up a star, or a clasp issued, not only that but where will it stop, will the BEF want a clasp will those who served at Alamein want a Rats clasp... The stars were there, decreed made issued, end of... I just think it's wrong to issue them. Plus they have the arctic star emblem why then issue a medal, will bevin boys want one and the land girls?

I know I'll get flamed but it's my opinion, :/

Tom
Old 26-02-13, 10:44 PM

Not that my opinion means much at all to anyone but myself.... I am a bit bothered by this latest Star. Not that I don't think those who are entitled to deserve something, however, it is 65 years too late, and in my mind, rather pointless.

The king limited the number of Stars and medals created, now the current government has ignored his ruling and wishes.

I am really mixed about this one. Too many issues are raised in my mind that are going to go unanswered.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 27-02-13, 12:16 AM

I thought they came up with the Arctic Emblem instead of another medal. Also the Soviet medal was only issued to surviving members, they would not issue to family. Cheers Brian