British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-16, 06:27 PM

Gentlemen,
Please don't take Peter's thread into an area where it degenerates, one mans brave soldier will always be another mans oppressor, just as a terrorist will be seen as a freedom fighter in the eyes of some, we really don't need to take sides, it happened, it is part of a very unfortunate part of history of a very beautiful country
Far too many lives were lost on both sides including people from all parts of society who simply felt they were doing the right thing at that particular point in time, sadly, these included children.
Old 29-03-16, 05:29 AM

When I went to secondary school in the mid sixties, we were allowed to watch educational films and programmes on wet sports afternoons. They included such absolutely riveting classics as, The Building of the Aswan Dam, Hygiene (don't pick your nose when packing food), The Birth of a Baby (plenty of dry heaves on that one) and Food production in various African countries. A couple of great (at the time) military ones do stick out in my mind though. One was a documentary on the Battle of Culloden presented in a style as if TV cameras and reporters were around in 1746. It worked very well and some of the scenes are still embedded in my psyche. Another, though I may have a false memory and have actually seen it later, was called Insurrection and was a multi-part series, again given in the style of a TV documentary, on the 1916 Rising. It coincided with the then 50th anniversary.

Interestingly a still from this production has been used on the front cover of the March edition of the UK Military History Magazine and shows the Sherwood Foresters preparing to launch an attack across the Mount St Bridge.

Unfortunately, for me the BBC iplayer programmes mentioned earlier are not available to viewers outside the UK unless I get down and do some 'illegal' streaming.
Mark

Last edited by dubaiguy; 29-03-16 at 05:36 AM.
Old 29-03-16, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connaught View Post
Wait for what. Watered down dominion status? the Home Rule promise that was always fudged. Mistakes were made in Ireland by both sides, what should have been an amicable separation turned into a messy divorce with a custody battle over the sprog.
I take it that you did not listen to what I posted before?

There was an interesting programme on at the weekend:

"Irish Times journalist Fintan O'Toole takes a look at some of the 2,000 letters crowdsourced by Maynooth University as part of a special project in Ireland, marking the centenary of the 1916 Easter Rising."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074vx8y

What people on both sides, and people stuck in the middle, wrote at the time.
Old 29-03-16, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaiguy View Post
When I went to secondary school in the mid sixties, we were allowed to watch educational films and programmes on wet sports afternoons. They included such absolutely riveting classics as, The Building of the Aswan Dam, Hygiene (don't pick your nose when packing food), The Birth of a Baby (plenty of dry heaves on that one) and Food production in various African countries. A couple of great (at the time) military ones do stick out in my mind though. One was a documentary on the Battle of Culloden presented in a style as if TV cameras and reporters were around in 1746. It worked very well and some of the scenes are still embedded in my psyche. Another, though I may have a false memory and have actually seen it later, was called Insurrection and was a multi-part series, again given in the style of a TV documentary, on the 1916 Rising. It coincided with the then 50th anniversary.

Interestingly a still from this production has been used on the front cover of the March edition of the UK Military History Magazine and shows the Sherwood Foresters preparing to launch an attack across the Mount St Bridge.

Unfortunately, for me the BBC iplayer programmes mentioned earlier are not available to viewers outside the UK unless I get down and do some 'illegal' streaming.
Mark
I remember the Culloden programme, which caused a bit of upset at the time. The British army bayonetting the wounded etc.

If you can access youtube in Dubai you can see it again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW8bhB5oxQI
Old 29-03-16, 09:43 AM

'We cannot change the past, we can learn from it or we can rewrite it to suit our own agendas. The former course of action ensures that the mistakes of the past are not repeated whilst the latter ensures that they are perpetuated'.

Last edited by High Wood; 29-03-16 at 09:53 AM.
Old 29-03-16, 11:15 AM

[QUOTE=BWEF;353230]I take it that you did not listen to what I posted before?

There was an interesting programme on at the weekend:

"Irish Times journalist Fintan O'Toole takes a look at some of the 2,000 letters crowdsourced by Maynooth University as part of a special project in Ireland, marking the centenary of the 1916 Easter Rising."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074vx8y

What people on both sides, and people stuck in the middle, wrote at the time.[/QUOTE

I listened to it.My previous posting was a response to the rather simplistic title of the said programme "'Could You Not Just Wait?'

Sorry, I listened to the first part that you suggested http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b073b5c6

Last edited by connaught; 29-03-16 at 11:28 AM.
Old 29-03-16, 07:08 PM

According to a history programme on Radio 4 there are plans to unveil a memorial to the dead of 1916 at Glasnevin.

This, it is said, will include the names of the dead of both sides. I assume that this includes the Sherwood Foresters?
Old 29-03-16, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post
According to a history programme on Radio 4 there are plans to unveil a memorial to the dead of 1916 at Glasnevin.

This, it is said, will include the names of the dead of both sides. I assume that this includes the Sherwood Foresters?
It will include all who died in the Rising, including civilians and Crown forces.

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/visit-g...ews/1916-list/
Old 30-03-16, 12:49 PM

I listened to one yesterday that made mention of the "Russian" angle on the Rising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWEF View Post

Old 03-04-16, 01:41 PM

So it continues, anyone watch Michael Portillo "Easter 1916 The enemy files" the other day?
Old 03-04-16, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
So it continues, anyone watch Michael Portillo "Easter 1916 The enemy files" the other day?
I watched it and found it very interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...he-enemy-files

So much on the topic and it's still not really 100 years.
Old 03-04-16, 03:42 PM

I thought that last Monday's 1916 The Irish Rebellion with Liam Neeson was good too.
Old 03-04-16, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I thought that last Monday's 1916 The Irish Rebellion with Liam Neeson was good too.
Yes, that one was really excellent, and there has been some coverage on the radio too.

For anybody who missed Liam Neeson, and is interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rish-rebellion
Old 03-04-16, 04:18 PM

I thought it was very good, in particular, simply because it included archived footage of some of those who were actually there and saw events unfold with their own eyes.
Old 26-05-16, 05:50 PM

Now the Canadians have a place in the history of the Easter Rising.
Canadian ambassador Kevin Vickers tackles protester at Easter Rising event in Dublin today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-36393312

Eddie