British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-13, 06:28 PM
Man-at-Arms

Default Cap Badge - "Who's A-fear'd" - Dorset Territorials

Anyone tell me what this is? Can't seem to track it down. Civillian, presumably, with connections to Dorset?

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=90531

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=90530
Old 26-06-13, 07:02 PM

Dorset territorials

Regards

Alan
Old 26-06-13, 07:25 PM
Man-at-Arms

Excellent stuff. Just couldn't find that one. Many thanks Alan.
Old 26-06-13, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure that this badge was ever actually worn or officially made.
Old 26-06-13, 08:23 PM
Man-at-Arms

That doesn't sound good. So it's a fake or a fantasy badge? Never had a dodgy staybrite before.
Old 26-06-13, 10:50 PM

Hello
No its ok it's not fake or fantasy it is a genuine badge that was as Alan say's maybe never issued or worn.It was the late sixties early seventies period when there was a big shake up in the T.A and the goverment kept changing there minds about various amalgamations.
Neil
Old 26-06-13, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil mercer View Post
Hello
No its ok it's not fake or fantasy it is a genuine badge that was as Alan say's maybe never issued or worn.It was the late sixties early seventies period when there was a big shake up in the T.A and the government kept changing there minds about various amalgamations.
Neil
Hi Neil,

Looking at the Army Dress Committee minutes before and up to the 185th Meeting, which was held on 10th April 1968, you will see that quite a few of the TAVRIII units at the time, including the Dorset Territorials, had the procurement of the badge halted up to, and including, any finished samples.

If you look in Chapter 17: A Tangle of Territorials in Anodised Aluminium: The 'No Bull' Cap Badge of the British Army then you will see plenty of info about these TAVR III badges.

For the main the Gaunt ones are modern knock offs - that I'm convinced of but yours is a Firmin marked example with correct marking from the era.

I have looked at your images and compared to my Gaunt version and both badges are from, in my opinion, the same dies. However, saying that, your badge has some details which are sharper than mine and for that reason I would say that it was made before the 1980's knock offs.

However, the company who had the contract to make the first prototypes for this badge was Smith & Wright Limited. This is recorded under contract 23487.

Smith & Wright were taken over by William Dowler in who in turn were taken over by Firmin in 1969. Note that all three of these companies were trading as their own names in 1968 so are covered by the date of the 185th Meeting.

So, where does that leave us?

I would stick my neck out and say that the badge could either be a prototype from a Smith & Wright die but marked by Firmin (in which case it would be very rare) or, more probably, that it was from an early, but unissued, batch of Dorset Territorial cap badges. Note that there is no proof, that I know of, that these badges were actually officially bulk manufactured so you might be lucky. Please note the word officially being used here.

If you were to consider collecting an A/A version of this cap badge then this would be the one to go for but do be aware that official documentation states that it was never officially issued.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris
Old 27-06-13, 12:25 AM

Hi Chris
I am not Man-At -Arms I just replied to him but thanks anyway for the info.Can't check what the maker's name is on my own Dorset Terri's badge at the moment because I am away from home working. I hope to get that book No Bull Cap Badge myself one day.Many thanks again.
Best regards Neil
Old 27-06-13, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil mercer View Post
Hi Chris
I am not Man-At -Arms I just replied to him but thanks anyway for the info.Can't check what the maker's name is on my own Dorset Terri's badge at the moment because I am away from home working. I hope to get that book No Bull Cap Badge myself one day.Many thanks again.
Best regards Neil
Thanks Neil!
Old 27-06-13, 10:52 AM
Man-at-Arms

hagwalther - That's a full and fascinating answer. Thank you for such an informative reply. Not sure what I'll do with the badge yet. I collect some staybrite but only in specific areas (London, Irish etc).
Old 27-06-13, 08:40 PM

Thanks!!!

Glad to be of help.

Regards

Chris
Old 30-05-15, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

There is an example shown in the Keep Museum's collection and it is clearly labelled as 'never worn'.