British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum  

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21-11-13, 11:57 AM
rockape560's Avatar
rockape560 rockape560 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern ireland
Posts: 1,211
Default nato stock number??

hi all,

this prob a stupid question but if you dont ask you dont learn

recieved this light infantry cloth cap badge in the last few days.on the back is a set of numbers which i assume is a nato stock number

however i have tried goggleing "nato stock number" but cant find how to get in to find any information on this number

im trying to find out date of issue,maker etc just out of interest

can anyone help or know of a web page

all help apprecated

philip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (34.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (44.6 KB, 39 views)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21-11-13, 12:08 PM
oc14 oc14 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 1,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
hi all,

this prob a stupid question but if you dont ask you dont learn

recieved this light infantry cloth cap badge in the last few days.on the back is a set of numbers which i assume is a nato stock number

however i have tried goggleing "nato stock number" but cant find how to get in to find any information on this number

im trying to find out date of issue,maker etc just out of interest

can anyone help or know of a web page

all help apprecated

philip
It isnt a cap badge and it isnt Light Infantry. It is actually a Bugler's arm badge (I think it relates to the Royal Green Jackets but stand to be corrected)
regards
PL
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 21-11-13, 12:33 PM
REMEVMBEA1 REMEVMBEA1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 946
Default

The only bit I remember about NATO part numbers is that the 99 meant British.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21-11-13, 01:12 PM
rockape560's Avatar
rockape560 rockape560 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern ireland
Posts: 1,211
Default

hi pl,

many thanks for the quick reply.

badge only cost a cpl of pounds so if its not a cap badge no worries, still will be a nice addition to collection

philip
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 21-11-13, 01:44 PM
Paddy's Avatar
Paddy Paddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Portsmouth Area
Posts: 839
Default

Philip

Straight from JSP 768

NSN: 8455-99-973-8862

Specification: UK/SC/4687 @ 6450

Description: Badge, Qualification. Bugler Major and buglers. Royal Gurkha Rifles. Cloth. Embroidered. Black on rifle green. Bugle. Large.

Cost Guide: 0.36

Additional Information: Worn on No2 Dress.

Paddy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21-11-13, 02:32 PM
rockape560's Avatar
rockape560 rockape560 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern ireland
Posts: 1,211
Default

hi paddy,

many thanks for the info.

much apprecated

philip
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-11-13, 12:15 PM
Hussar100's Avatar
Hussar100 Hussar100 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
hi paddy,

many thanks for the info.

much apprecated

philip
Phillip, just a wee thought which may be helpful.

Could the badge also be considered as Irish/Ulster Rifles, North Irish Brigade, Royal Irish Rangers or Royal Irish Regiment? All of these units had/have buglers with green uniforms and black facings.
__________________
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-11-13, 01:43 PM
rockape560's Avatar
rockape560 rockape560 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: northern ireland
Posts: 1,211
Default

hi hussar,

very true ,as you have said all have/had buglers that wore green and black.it was the stock number that got me interested though

philip
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22-11-13, 02:17 PM
Hussar100's Avatar
Hussar100 Hussar100 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape560 View Post
hi hussar,

very true ,as you have said all have/had buglers that wore green and black.it was the stock number that got me interested though

philip
It's quite possible it's a Nato stock number Philip. I wouldn't recognise one now though after so many years off the plot.
__________________
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-11-13, 12:43 AM
John L John L is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Illinois, USA
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
Phillip, just a wee thought which may be helpful.

Could the badge also be considered as Irish/Ulster Rifles, North Irish Brigade, Royal Irish Rangers or Royal Irish Regiment? All of these units had/have buglers with green uniforms and black facings.
Did not the Royal Irish and the other Irish wear piper green on black badges?

John
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23-11-13, 12:52 PM
Hussar100's Avatar
Hussar100 Hussar100 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 1,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
Did not the Royal Irish and the other Irish wear piper green on black badges?

John
It's possible. I also think silver on green is another possibility, certainly for the modern day Royal Irish Regiment.

I think it would be rifle green though, not piper green.
__________________
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam - I have a catapult. Give me all your money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:01 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.