British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-06-14, 05:34 PM

Default Kimberley Regiment badge

Hi All
I picked up this KR badge variation recently. It seems to be blackened brass / bronze and the brooch pin is original. Does anyone have any info regarding this style of badge? Vintage? Thanks. Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 084.jpg (62.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 086.jpg (34.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 24-06-14, 05:25 AM

Hi Alex,

I have one exactly the same but I don't know the background. It does seem to be fairly common though for KR cap badges to have brooch pins.

regards, Iain
Old 24-06-14, 05:45 AM

Hi Iain
Yes, I think you're right about the pins, it's more the blackened bronze I am interested in. All the other KR badges I have are gilt or gilding metal finish, this is the first bronze one.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 24-06-14, 06:11 AM

Hi Alex, I also have a blackened one, maybe WW2? Regards Andrew
Old 25-06-14, 06:25 PM

Alex

I also have one, it would seem a batch of them were made like this. The darkening/browning is common to many SA WW2 Badges.

Brian
Old 26-06-14, 06:32 AM

Thanks guys, I'll put it as WWII then. I thought maybe the pin would indicate either a badge for a slouch hat or pugaree for a pith helmet.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 26-06-14, 08:40 AM

Hi Alex,
Quite a few units used sloach hats during WWII especially back home in the Union and during training. I have seen photographs of Medical corps and Engineers in sloach hats and also seen WWII SAEC badges with pin clasp fixings. The chocolate brown coating is definately WWII vintage. 1934 dress regulations talk of coloured flashes to be worn on both sides of the polo helmet and on the right side (if I remember correctly) of the sloach hat.

Steven
Old 27-06-14, 07:08 AM

Have attached a copy of instructions ordering the oxidising / darkening of badges for interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Order oxidising badges 1.jpg (56.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Order oxidising badges 2.jpg (55.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 27-06-14, 10:36 AM

Hi Dudley,
Thats an ausome document, thanks for posting. This is what gets the juices flowing from my aspect of collecting... always great to see official request, numbers and timelines related to badges.

It was interesting to see that this request for brown bronzing was placed as early as 1932 and that it was to be carried out by the SAAF workshops post badge production/supply. I see the numbers are relatively small, but then the PF was not that big. I wonder whether the numbers relate to all insignia in stock at the time or half of the insignia, that way keeping a stock of gilt and gilding metal for issue.

I also assume that the ACF units requested similar procedures to there badges, but wonder if it was done at same time or rather closer to wartime. I have seen most of the ACF units with brown bronzed badges in an old collection.

Would also be nice to see at what point the work was actually carried out and when members started wearing the bronzed insignia.

Thanks
Steven

Ps. If you or anyone have more documents like this related to insignia supply and wear, please share. Maybe we could get an album together with scanned images of official documents.

Pss. I see the SAEC is not present on the list of PF insignia... I wonder why this is as I see the SAEC was part of PF in the 1934 dress regs. Could it have been an oversight by the compiler?

Last edited by Milmed; 27-06-14 at 12:20 PM.
Old 30-06-14, 07:12 AM

Thanks for this doc, great help,
Bill
Old 30-06-14, 03:41 PM

Dudley

Great doc, always great to see these official items where we can definately put a timeline on the Browning instead of speculating.

Brian