British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-06-13, 06:27 PM

Here's a bit of an update on these items. Apparently, there is a 48th Highlanders one, as well.

This article, was published in the Canadian Numismatic Journal, June 2013, Volume 58, Number 5.

Old 03-06-13, 09:21 PM

Very cool!! I never realized these coins were produced during the war. I know the 1st Can Para has a challenge coin, however they were produced post-war and are numbered to the individual.
Old 04-06-13, 03:18 PM

Good to see something in print about these. It is unfortunate there is not much more known about these coins. Any chance I could get a high res scan of this article?

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 04-06-13, 04:56 PM

Re post #15 - W.W. the maker, and REG D.S.N. meaning 'Registered Design' ??

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 04-06-13, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pylon1357 View Post
Good to see something in print about these. It is unfortunate there is not much more known about these coins. Any chance I could get a high res scan of this article?
Sure, just drop me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot those off to you. I uploaded them to Photobucket and they automatically dummy them down.

Andy
Old 04-06-13, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
Here is the RCAF coin, I wonder what the small initials "W.W. REG. D.S.N." are for?
I'd hazard that the W.W. are the designer's initials. As for the other side (not shown), does it read "D.S.N." or "DSN."? I'd guess that it stands for registered design.
Old 05-06-13, 12:02 AM

I would have immediately called "Bullsh*t" on this but the packaging shown has convinced me.

How about a separate thread on ALL military 'challenge' coins? I know I have a few kicking around that I can dig out and scan.

Clive
Old 05-06-13, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by servicepub View Post
I would have immediately called "Bullsh*t" on this but the packaging shown has convinced me.

How about a separate thread on ALL military 'challenge' coins? I know I have a few kicking around that I can dig out and scan.

Clive
Clive, I have always loved your candor. As I posted way back, I had picked one up purely as an oddity. After Andy came on board and posted the photos of the packaging, it all seems to have come together.

I like the article in the Journal, as the writer got about as far as I did in researching these little keepsakes.

I am cannot recall if in fact I ever got back in touch with our Regimental Association Secretary and President on the further information or not. Now I will remember to contact them as I have a bit of news in regards to a Regimental canvas title that one of our members was looking for. They were quoted $80.00 for one title.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 05-06-13, 01:31 AM

Quote:

Clive
Good idea on the new thread. Start 'er up!

Andy
Old 05-06-13, 01:33 AM

Oh, and I was meaning to add that I really don't think these are challenge coins. It's possible, I suppose, but unlikely, IMHO. I get the impression that they were for sale to the general public to support their local regiments, or perhaps the war in general.

Still not sure....
Old 05-06-13, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, there is a limit on the number of sub-boards that can be listed on the Forum. Perhaps, the Sweetheart board can be re-named to include "Challenge" coins.
Old 05-06-13, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Unfortunately, there is a limit on the number of sub-boards that can be listed on the Forum. Perhaps, the Sweetheart board can be re-named to include "Challenge" coins.
A sub-board may be more than is called for. I was just suggesting a new thread.
Clive
Old 05-06-13, 09:11 PM

Quote:
A sub-board may be more than is called for. I was just suggesting a new thread.
Clive
I understood you. I'm sure there's enough room for a new thread.

Andy
Old 05-06-13, 11:56 PM

I'd have to dig for the info now, but our association was distributing lucky wooden nickels a decade ago or so, and I believe the tradition was linked to a similar item that was distributed in the trenches by the 10th Battalion, C.E.F. during the First World War. I'm positive I am mis-remembering the details but I do still have my lucky wooden nickel at home. I'll talk to the museum and association fellows and see if I can be less obscure. The nickels had printing on both sides and I believe had the date of, IIRC, the Vimy Ridge battle on one side, and the 10th Bn cap badge on the other - the story behind the nickels is lost to memory. I seem to recall a soldiers' name, rank and service number being on the nickel as well.

The Calgary Highlanders started minting modern challenge coins circa 1990. The first batch was numbered consecutively by, IIRC, TOS date, with #1 going to the Colonel-in-Chief, HM Queen Elizabeth II. I keep number 0045 safely in my uniform pocket.

Last edited by Michael Dorosh; 06-06-13 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-06-13, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

My mistake re the thread vs sub-forum question. The proliferation of challenge coins in recent years had already had me considering where they fit in. Until this thread there had not been much interest in discussing the coins. The Sweetheart pin sub-forum has had Challenge Coins added to the category, and this thread has been moved there.