British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-12, 07:28 PM

Default WW2 challenge coin

The past few years many military units have started producing challenge coins, I believe the pratice really took off around the first gulf war with US units making the coins. I know Canada had some coins produced in the 1980's such as the airborne challenge coin and the combat diver challenge coin.
I recently came across a couple of WW2 challenge/luck coins that I have never seen before, has anyone else seen these before or know how the coin came into the possesion of the solider, was it a kitshop item, given as awards, sweetheart items?
The coins are nicely detailed, the joker is a maple leaf, I have two coins, one is the Toronto Scottish and the other to the RCAF. They both have the same back with the poker hand, and have the letters "W.W. REG. D.S.N." below the cards. The RCAF has a kings crown, which makes the coins either WW2 or early Korea, they appear to be made from copper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Challenge coin 2.jpg (29.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Challenge coin.jpg (33.0 KB, 96 views)
Old 25-09-12, 09:18 PM

Mike, add to that the Irish Regiment of Canada. I got one just recently. I have no idea of the origins. I took it to our Regimental Association meeting and not one of the vets recall ever seeing them before.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 25-09-12, 11:54 PM

Default Just a Comment

Is there a chance that these items are not from WWII but are recent fabrications? Copper was a controlled metal during the war, so how would the manufacture of this type of trinket be allowed?

Food for thought.
Old 25-09-12, 11:56 PM

Default I Also Have to Ask

How long until we start to see Parachute Corps, Armoured Carrier Regt and 8th Recce versions of this coin?
Old 26-09-12, 03:31 AM

I agree with Ed's suspicion that these are a recent phenomenon. Perhaps designed and produced for ebay sales specifically? I find it strange that they have just appeared recently, and that experience collectors such as yourselves haven't seen them before (or the Veteran's of the Irish Regiment either for that matter... )

BTW, the Armd Carrier Regiment does have a coin, created last year for our ceremonies with the Elgins. Limited to 200, numbered, pewter coins. All recipients and their numbers recorded by the Association.
Old 26-09-12, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Miller View Post
I agree with Ed's suspicion that these are a recent phenomenon. Perhaps designed and produced for ebay sales specifically? I find it strange that they have just appeared recently, and that experience collectors such as yourselves haven't seen them before (or the Veteran's of the Irish Regiment either for that matter... )

BTW, the Armd Carrier Regiment does have a coin, created last year for our ceremonies with the Elgins. Limited to 200, numbered, pewter coins. All recipients and their numbers recorded by the Association.
And I am busy reproing at this very moment!!
Old 26-09-12, 04:45 AM

Default how very droll...

Har har, Mr. S., you shouldn't even joke...

Don't you have some data to compile? ...ya know if you weren't always cracking wise, you could have included '52 thru unification in your Guide...

Last edited by WJ Miller; 26-09-12 at 04:47 AM. Reason: ..added hyperlink (shameless plug) in exchange for consideration of beer.
Old 26-09-12, 11:56 AM

As Ed stated, I do suspect these are currently produced. This was a feeling I had before I got it. The amount I paid was very small, so I took a chance.

Of interest, the 2nd Bn Irish Regiment of Canada also has a Unit Coin, numbered and recorded to the owner. IIRC 2005 was the year they came out.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 26-09-12, 01:44 PM

Hi guys,

This is Andy from Forest City Coins. I'm the source of these "coins" on eBay.

I can assure you that these are 100% from 1937-52 with the likelihood being 1939-45, specifically. These are absolutely not modern-made.

My dad opened the shop in 1964 and I've been working here for 28 years. I remember seeing these items for as long as I can remember, but for some reason, we never had them out for sale.

I'm going to upload some pictures with the "coins" in their original packaging. That should truly make the buyers of these items feel confident that what they got is not some cheaply made copy produced this year.

Pics coming shortly.

Andy
Old 26-09-12, 02:01 PM

Old 26-09-12, 02:03 PM

So, I'm almost 100% sure that these would be WW2 era, as it says right on the card, "Don't forget the boys overseas.".

Hope that solves some of your questions, guys.

Best,

Andy
Old 26-09-12, 02:22 PM

Thats a relief, they do look old when in hand, not sure if 100% copper as they are a little light. Very neat pieces though, I wonder what other regiments were made. Any one know of other challenge coins pre gulf war for Canadian regiments?
Old 26-09-12, 02:35 PM

Over the last 20 years I've seen more and more of these. My dad's old regiment produced a coin in 1994 to celebrate it's unofficial 200th anniversary (1794- 1994). It's in toned gilt on bronze, a regimental medal was also struck in sterling silver using the same plancet. The coin was not intended to be a "challenge coin" more a keepsake or regimental gift. There is no registry for either the silver medal or gilt coin.

I've also seen a sterling silver Canadian Scottish coin - this one was numbered and had a name engraved on it so I assume there is a registry for it. My frosted silver coloured PPCLI coin was purchased at the regimental museum, a registry was maintained with (I think) number blocks for actual serving and past members and other blocks for patrons of the regiment (mine). I have a spare without the frosted finish or number on it so I suspect that the current practise is that only serving or past members get a numbered coin, all others can buy one at the gift shop but without a number and registration.

My point in all of this is that most of these coins are a modern phenomina but it wouldn't surprise me if coins existed from as far back a WW2. It also occured to me that in WW1 there were several CEF regiments that had distinctive Mess tokens. Perhaps the original "challenge coin" is derived from these destinctive regimental mess currency?

Cheers,

Greg
Old 26-09-12, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker Mike View Post
Thats a relief, they do look old when in hand, not sure if 100% copper as they are a little light. Very neat pieces though, I wonder what other regiments were made. Any one know of other challenge coins pre gulf war for Canadian regiments?
I have only seen three:

Toronto Scottish
RCAF
Irish Regiment

I am going to test one to see what it's composition is.

Andy
Old 26-09-12, 02:50 PM

Default Challenge coins

Here is the RCAF coin, I wonder what the small initials "W.W. REG. D.S.N." are for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Challenge coin 3.jpg (73.9 KB, 31 views)