British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-09-12, 03:50 PM

Default SA pith helmet badges

Hi All
Here are a few badges which I believe are standard badges, specifically made with double-blades for fastening to pith sun helmets. I would be interested to know if anyone knows what dates these would have been made or if anyone has any other examples. The numeral '3' is one of the ones worn on the regimental flash by the Natal Mounted Rifles.
Unfortunately the First City Reg is missing one of the blade-pairs.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0099.jpg (90.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0098.jpg (49.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0104.jpg (48.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0103.jpg (62.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0094.jpg (39.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0096.jpg (47.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-09-12, 04:49 PM

Hi Alex,

What a interesting post!!!!
I haven't actually seen any with pairs of double blades; would these have been for fixing through the Pagri or through the helmet itself?

regards,

Iain

Last edited by iaindh; 06-09-12 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-09-12, 09:23 AM

Hi Alex,
It would be nice to get some clarity on these 'bladed' badges. I have seen these before and was always under the impression that they were recently made (1970's/1980's) copies from original dies with an incorrect attachment.
The ones I saw were also very 'clean like these as if come straight from the manufacturer and never been in use in its life.

Maybe someone like Sam Foote could give his opinion.

Steven
Old 06-09-12, 11:16 AM

Hi Steven
I don't know about them being fakes, I hadn't considered that option. The numeral '3' is definitely not, because I got that from the family of the guy who wore it.
My personal feeling is that these are original though, but I'm always up to be corrected.
Iain - I don't know if they went all the way through the helmet or just through the pagri, but judging on the length of the blades, I would say they could have been fitted either way.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 06-09-12, 11:38 AM

Hi Alex,
I believe you are correct re. the #3. It looks ligit to me. As for the other two I have my reservations. I used to have the 1st City badge with blades as yours and felt at the time that it was very 'tinny' unlike a quality white metal lugged badge.

I also have the TS badge and an earlier TS Volunteers, both with blades (though if I remember correctly) broken off. The blades on these were positioned EW, but attached vertically and in the position of the garter. Yours appear to be attached to the star and EW horizontally.... just an observation. If I find my two I will scan and post.

Steven

PS. Here are the two TS I have with prongs (all broken off though). The top badge is TS with prongs on star. The bottom badge is TSV with prongs on garter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (35.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Milmed; 19-09-12 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Adding pictures
Old 06-09-12, 03:32 PM

Hi all,
the "3" would have been worn on the side of the helmet over the flash; would, (for example,) the TS have been worn on the front of the helmet like a helmet plate, therefore EW fixing, as the badge would have to wrap around. I dont think the direction of the attaching of the actual blades EW or NS is important as different makers would vary providing the orientation is correction.
I stand to be corrected.
regards,

Iain
Old 06-09-12, 06:16 PM

I have a Cape Fortress Engineers badge with these fittings(Owen 1370). I am happy it is original and that places the time line around WW1. Regards Andrew
Old 03-12-12, 01:14 PM

I have a similar Transvaal Scottish badge and was informed by the former trustee of their museum that it was worn only in 1922.

The numerals were worn on the side of a pith helmet and were also worn by the different regiments of the SAMR.
Old 03-12-12, 02:22 PM

I believe these would have been attached to the Pagri. Causing no damage to the Pith Helmet.