British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-12-09, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Canadian Army Trades School

The Canadian Army Trades School was set up in Hamilton in 1941. Other facilities were added as the war continued and skilled tradesmen / women were in high demand. The schools wore distinctive patches, and had printed patches. The printed CATS patches are a different type of material than the Calico Printers UK printed patches. The material is heavier and there was no backing material to stiffen the patches. These were made in Canada, as there were no CATS in the UK.
The embroidered / flocked patches are found in different colours as well. The most common in the silver pattern.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cats all.jpg (66.8 KB, 38 views)
Old 26-12-09, 07:31 PM

Thank you, is there a reason for the different colours, and the word TRADES opposed to TRADE in the title?
Old 26-12-09, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Still working on the reason behind the different colours. The colours may have something to do with different localities of the school. It was expanded into several branches, and they may have been distinguished by the different colours.
I am not sure about the TRADE / TRADES spelling in the different titles, but it is interesting that they are on two completely different patterns of titles.
Old 27-12-09, 08:40 AM

Thank you again. You will have thought of this already, but just in case; TRADES, more than one of a certain group or type taught, defined by the colour; TRADE, only the one trade again defined by the colour.
Old 28-12-09, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Morning 54 Bty, and all others.
Further research on the C.A.T.S. indicates that the correct name was the Canadian Army Trades School. The school was originally set up in Hamilton to teach a wide diversity of skilled and semi-skilled trades for the army. Included were welder, electrician, carpenter, driver mechanic, bricklayer, blacksmith, clerk, armourer, equipment repairer, fitter, machinist, cook, coppersmith, motor mechanic, and instrument mechanic.
Over 15,000 soldiers and CWAC's were trained at the Hamilton C.A.T.S. No rationalization as to the colour and pattern of patches was indicated.
Old 14-12-10, 05:23 AM

Hi Bill and all, I thought I'd post a pic of a frame at the Chilliwack Military Museum that is on display. The museum resides on the old CFB Chilliwack which used to be the home of the RCE for some time. The base is now closed but a sizable detachment still exists in Chilliwack. Bill has already commented on many of the insignia but I thought I post it as a FYI.

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trades.jpg (78.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 14-12-10, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, Nice display of insignia. One note, the small CAPF patch should be rotated so that the point between the black and red wedges (armoured brigades and 1 CID) is at 12 o'clock.
Old 14-12-10, 04:16 PM

Thanks Bill, I'll mention that to the curator next time I visit the museum.

Greg

Tags
cats, patches, trades school