British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Sweetheart, Veteran, Lapel Badges and Challenge Coins

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-10, 12:56 AM

Default CEF 204th Bn Eaton's Pattern Sweetheart

I recently acquired a fantastic Eaton's pattern sweetheart badge, pictured below. Also referred to as an officer's badge by Charlton but this is disputed by Joe Harper in his book A Source of Pride. I agree with Joe Harper and this badge supports the contention that these were sweethearts.

The inscription on the back reads:

"To Dorothea from Morris Chesnut 1916"

Morris Chesnut's attestation papers are on the Library and Archives Canada site. He joined the 204th Bn in Toronto in April 1916. He was barely 17 and a half when he attested.

A unique badge and one I am most pleased to have in my collection!

Cheers, Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEF_204_Eaton's Pattern Sweetheart.jpg (67.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg CEF_204_Eaton's Pattern Sweetheart_Back.jpg (73.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 16-11-10, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Ian, Scarce badge. The evidence you have presented makes a sound case for the interpretation.
Has there been a definitive list of the Eaton's pattern badges compiled?
Old 16-11-10, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Ian, Scarce badge. The evidence you have presented makes a sound case for the interpretation.
Has there been a definitive list of the Eaton's pattern badges compiled?
Hi Bill,

I haven't seen one - I did look through the Spring/Fall 1916 Eaton's catalogue (500 pages!) and did not see anything like this advertised. I did see adds for an "Overseas Set" of general service maple leaf badges (cap, collar and solid CANADA s.t.'s) - for 40 cents. You could also get a fretted curved CANADA s.t. badge as a sweetheart and a couple of different brooches made from brass buttons. And if you wanted to dress your kids up like soldiers, you could get both officer's and OR's uniforms!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 16-11-10, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, it is a shame that Eaton's couldn't make it in the modern marketing world. It was quite an institution in Canada. They were certainly a source of insignia for the armed forces in both wars.
I have one Eaton's pattern badge. It appears to have been an E248 that someone modified to an E246 by removing a portion of the "8".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e246 e248 eatons.jpg (40.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 16-11-10, 05:39 PM

If I remember correctly, A Source of Pride mentions the fact that most of the Eaton's pattern badges were for Ontario battalions. I guess if you wanted a Nova Scotia 246th you had to get creative! I don't have my Charlton book handy - does it list the 248th as having an Eaton's pattern badge?

Cheers, Ian.
Old 16-11-10, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Charlton lists the 246th, but not the 248th. There is no doubt that the badge was modified and had material removed from the area to convert it to the 246. It came from the estate of a vet who had served with the 147th Grey Battalion.
Old 16-11-10, 11:46 PM

Here is one I may have posted before but it is not listed in any reference I have seen. 112th Battalion it is gilded and is the only one I have ever seen.

Bill

All the Highland Brigade Badges are listed in Charlton's book

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00616.JPG (38.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00617.JPG (29.4 KB, 9 views)
Old 17-11-10, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.S. Regt. View Post
Here is one I may have posted before but it is not listed in any reference I have seen. 112th Battalion it is gilded and is the only one I have ever seen.

Bill

All the Highland Brigade Badges are listed in Charlton's book

Stephen
Hello Ian,

Reference sweethearts:

My avatar is a sweetheart but was also worn as a officer's cap badge. A picture is in the 4th Bn nominal roll book put together by the paymaster.

Dress regs for the CEF must have drove RSM's over the deep end!

As for Eaton pattern badges the question were they authorized? Private purchase doesn't make it ok to wear it???

Something to ponder!

Cheers
Rob
Old 17-11-10, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Stephen, It is interesting that the Highland Bde has Eaton pattern badges, but the 112 Bn in unrecorded. There were more men in the 112th than in the 246th.
Rob, I have never seen an image with these in wear.
Old 17-11-10, 07:52 PM

Hi Bill

The Nova Scotia Highland Brigade were the only Battalions that had Eaton's Pattern Badges for the province that I am aware of. The 112th Badge I have shown I think was made more as a sweetheart then a badge and I suspect there were very few produced. It would be interesting to discover others that are similar and unrecorded.

Stephen
Old 17-11-10, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry Stephen, I misunderstood your post. You are saying that the Highland Brigade wore the Eaton's pattern as a badge? I haven't seen any images of the pattern in service.
Old 18-11-10, 01:29 AM

Hi Bill

The members of the Highland Brigade to my knowledge or any photos I have seen never wore the Eaton's pattern. The photographs I have of them prior to them sailing to the U.K. shows them wearing general list badges and Hemsley made badges. I had been told by a former 85th collector that the interim badge for the 85th was also used but I have never seen a photo of that badge in use.

The Eaton's Pattern dose not appear to be anything other then a Sweetheart broach and it would not surprise me that they were made for that purpose. I have seen examples of the other Eaton's Pattern badges for the highland Brigade and they were pinbacked.

Stephen