British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-07-10, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator

Default 2 LAA RCA titles

During the Second World War, the Royal Canadian Artillery were unique among Commonwealth Forces in having individual regiments identified by cloth titles. These titles were worn as loops around the epaulette and carried an abbreviation of the units designation. The titles were made in Canada and the UK, and were made in melton with backings, printed canvas and starch back patterns. In addition, evidence shows that many of these were likely privately purchased.
Among the variations were the slope of the unit's abbreviation. On regiments such as the LAA, HAA, A/T, etc, the abbreviation was in smaller letters, between the numerical designation and RCA. The LAA was sloped downwards left to right or upwards left to right. The approved slope was upwards from left to right. The downward patterns are less common.
The practice of individually naming RCA units was continued after the Second World War, but the slip on titles showed only the unit designation, worn on the epaulette, with the corps title, Royal Canadian Artillery worn at the top of the shoulder. The wartime titles were much wider than the post war, and included RCA in the designation.
Two varieties of the 2 LAA RCA title, both melton, showing the different slopes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0005.jpg (16.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg 2 laa rca sloped up to right melton.jpg (17.3 KB, 47 views)
Old 27-07-10, 04:57 PM

could I use them for my site Bill
Old 27-07-10, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Philip, Sure, just make sure to credit them to me.
Old 28-07-10, 02:22 AM

I'd like to share my insignia plus the story that goes with them. My uncle Nathan Worden was with the 1rst Cdn LAA BTY which mobilized at Yorkton Sask on 03 Sept 1939. They were the first Saskatchewan unit to reach war strength. After training in Canada they arrived overseas in Greenock Scotland 03 Sept 1940. It was at Colchester England sometime betweeen August and October 1941 that they became part of the 2nd LAA Regiment as the 2nd LAA Battery. Besides being in England at that time they were also with the 1rst Canadian Division for Sicily Italy and also France Holland Belgium and Germany. Although I only was able to listen to my uncle talk about the war once before he passed away I was lucky to meet two of the fellows he served with and was able to get some good info from them. The widow of one of them gave me the patches you see here. One is a canvas 2nd LAA.
Old 28-07-10, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Jim, It is nice to get the khaki drill armlets. These were typically worn on summer dress in Italy and Sicily.
Old 28-07-10, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Hi Philip, Sure, just make sure to credit them to me.
Will do Bill thanks
Old 28-07-10, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim a View Post
I'd like to share my insignia plus the story that goes with them. My uncle Nathan Worden was with the 1rst Cdn LAA BTY which mobilized at Yorkton Sask on 03 Sept 1939. They were the first Saskatchewan unit to reach war strength. After training in Canada they arrived overseas in Greenock Scotland 03 Sept 1940. It was at Colchester England sometime betweeen August and October 1941 that they became part of the 2nd LAA Regiment as the 2nd LAA Battery. Besides being in England at that time they were also with the 1rst Canadian Division for Sicily Italy and also France Holland Belgium and Germany. Although I only was able to listen to my uncle talk about the war once before he passed away I was lucky to meet two of the fellows he served with and was able to get some good info from them. The widow of one of them gave me the patches you see here. One is a canvas 2nd LAA.
Same question for you Jim , any photographs?
Old 28-07-10, 06:51 PM

Sure you can use these images... I do have a bunch of photos and newspaper clippings but they are photocopies and I'm not sure the quality will survive being copied again if you get my drift....
Old 02-07-11, 05:36 PM

Default rca title

what would the 'svy' stand for?
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rca 001 (550x151).jpg (41.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-07-11, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncc View Post
what would the 'svy' stand for?
Bob
Survey.

Marc
Old 02-07-11, 06:39 PM

Default rca

thanks.
Bob