British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-02-19, 08:35 AM

Default Royal Regiment of Scotland Dress Regs (2018)

Not sure if these have been posted on the forum before. Apologies if so but thought they might be of interest to some of you.

https://bit.ly/2GLBBvX

Des
Old 27-02-19, 11:24 AM

Thank you for posting this. A very interesting document and one which illustrates just how much the MoD spends on uniform and associated "nic nacks" in support of tradition. Whilst most public facing uniformed organisations have had to abandon their traditional dress in order to comply with austerity measures imposed by the Government - that clearly does not apply to the military - and you and I have to pay for it!

Dave.
Old 27-02-19, 04:39 PM

Most of the Uniform items are interchangeable with what form of Dress is required, the military perform numerous tasks/duties that generate wealth from tourism etc, yes the Scottish Bn’s have the Kilt but who doesn’t like seeing a man in a skirt
I’m all for tradition, it says who we are
Paul
Old 27-02-19, 05:41 PM

I'm all for tradition. That said, it cannot be justified to the extent that the MoD allows. The "nice to haves" should be paid for privately by those who want them, not by the tax payer. The operational MoD staff moan (quite rightly) that they lack appropriate clothing and equipment when we go to war and indeed employees have (I understand) lost their lives because of those failures. You cannot put a price on someones life, but the MoD can find the cash for non-essentials such as those outlined in the document, but not for lifesaving essential equipment. As I've said before, if the MoD was a commercial business it would be bankrupt within six months.

Explain why someone should wear a different jacket on a particular occasion? Because its the evening or because they are in the barracks. That's nothing to do with generating cash for the Country. The public are, on the majority of occasions not even present. It is just because that is the way its always been done. Tradition for traditions sake. A good Organisation & Methods review would do a world of good and result in a considerable financial saving.

Dave.

Last edited by altcar73; 27-02-19 at 05:51 PM.
Old 28-02-19, 11:03 AM

Default Morale

I have been in the Canadian Army for 36 years now. I went through the period of unification wear the whole military was in the same green uniform, Navy and Air Force included. "They" said it would save money and create "inclusiveness". "They" were wrong and it was a disaster. People left and new people were not getting in and morale was non existent.
Now that has changed and we all have our distinctive uniforms, and then some.
Operational equipment is still sparse but that has more to do with the money going into peoples pockets and being wasted on stupid projects etc and I can guarantee that the same thing is going on over there.

Case in point, look at how much Australia spends on their military compared to us. They have half the budget we do but have twice as much equipment.

Colin