British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-14, 06:05 AM

Default Rhodesian LRDG insignia

Would anyone know if the Rhodesian contingent of the LRDG wore the curved brass "RHODESIA" shoulder title?
Old 10-02-14, 10:16 AM

Hello,
That is a rather difficult question to answer, many Rhodesians in the LRDG also served with the South African army before their time actually in the LRDG.
The handsome cloth "LRDG Rhodesia" titles were worn and I would say rather proudly worn by many Rhodesian's whilst in Cairo.
The problem here is that there is really no one left alive today who can give you a proper answer to that, when I was a boy I had met a number of SA and Rhodesian members, but, they are all sadly long gone.
People like the Low brothers certainly wore Rhodesia titles, but, whilst actually serving with the LRDG, I can only say, with a degree of certainty, that when they actually wore titles, they wore their LRDG titles, this included both the "LRDG Rhodesia" and the more familiar "LRDG" both in embroidered cloth.
Kind regards Frank Kelley

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandocanuk View Post
Would anyone know if the Rhodesian contingent of the LRDG wore the curved brass "RHODESIA" shoulder title?

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 10-02-14 at 10:33 AM.
Old 14-02-14, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Hello,
That is a rather difficult question to answer, many Rhodesians in the LRDG also served with the South African army before their time actually in the LRDG.
The handsome cloth "LRDG Rhodesia" titles were worn and I would say rather proudly worn by many Rhodesian's whilst in Cairo.
The problem here is that there is really no one left alive today who can give you a proper answer to that, when I was a boy I had met a number of SA and Rhodesian members, but, they are all sadly long gone.
People like the Low brothers certainly wore Rhodesia titles, but, whilst actually serving with the LRDG, I can only say, with a degree of certainty, that when they actually wore titles, they wore their LRDG titles, this included both the "LRDG Rhodesia" and the more familiar "LRDG" both in embroidered cloth.
Kind regards Frank Kelley
Ask Jon Pittaway he is a member of the forum and has hundreds of photos.