British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-13, 09:52 PM

Default WW2 Black Watch Cap Badge (Need Help)

Hi...I am attaching two photos of a ww2 black watch cap badge. I am sure this badge is a reproduction...It is in the design of M.11, Which come is White Medal.
This badge is brass. It seems very well made it is heavy in weight..I am wondering if it is a Bond reproduction..I looked at the list of bond badges but can not find this one be reproduced...And I have not seen a repo done in Brass..
Can any one tell me if they have seen this badge reproduced and if so in Brass.
Why reproduce a badge in Brass if it was never worn by the unit in Brass..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3149.jpg (60.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3155.jpg (54.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 01-10-13, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Micheal. Is the badge varnished by any chance? The back looks like white metal from the image.
Old 01-10-13, 11:31 PM

I too would be interested in the outcome of this thread. Ironically, I have the exact same style badge in my possession that I have been contemplating purchasing. I was on the forum earlier today checking the various Blackwatch badges to try to identify which style badge this is. While this badge does resemble the M11 version, there is slight difference in the lower scroll, (left of the word "of" and right of the word "Canada"). My badge also is the heavy style brass, I currently also have the M11 in white metal, so this badge definitely is not varnished. I was told that this badge came with an assortment of WW1 badges, one of which is the 242nd Forestry Badge, and 17th Bn Seaforths (anyone have any idea of the values)

John
Old 02-10-13, 12:12 AM

No Bill the badge is not white medal..I cleaned a small sport on the back thinking it might be patina..But it came up shiny brass ..It is definitely brass...Also if you look at the front the name in the scroll shows wear like the badge has been used for something...But I can not locate anyone who knows about the badge.Whether it is a reproduction or an orginal. The information from RQMS is interesting..

Thank-You John I will try and research some of you info you offered.....

Any additional information would be appreciated...Thanks Mike
Old 02-10-13, 12:28 AM

I wouldn't take a chance.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-THE-BL...item565bec5c43

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 02-10-13, 12:32 AM

Bill here is another picture of the back where a cleaned a small portion on the bottom of the badge it is all brass...

Thanks Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4998_edited-1.jpg (109.3 KB, 45 views)
Old 02-10-13, 12:38 AM

not with a "ten foot pole" comes to mind for me.
Old 02-10-13, 12:40 AM

Phillip..This is a badge I have had in my collection for years not a badge form the badgeman out of the UK..I understand form other collectors he sells repos.If my badge is a repo...Which makes me think it is I believe it was made years ago and not reproduced recently..It is of good quality and the back of the badge has good detail which on cheap repos you do not see the quality on the back of the badge..This is just my opinion of course....I am interest in all comments.

Thanks Michael
Old 02-10-13, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Phil. The only authorized badge for the Royal Highland Regiment of Canada was white metal. The danger with repros / fantasy badges (which this one is, as it never really was authorized) is with the passage of time. It is well known that the badges being offered by some vendors are repro, and can be easily recognized. But when they are aged or tarnished etc, they become more possible.
John, Can you post an image of the badge that came with the CEF lot? The 42nd Bn and 73rd Bn did wear an imperial pattern Black Watch badge in brass.
Old 02-10-13, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael999 View Post
Phillip..This is a badge I have had in my collection for years not a badge form the badgeman out of the UK..I understand form other collectors he sells repos.If my badge is a repo...Which makes me think it is I believe it was made years ago and not reproduced recently..It is of good quality and the back of the badge has good detail which on cheap repos you do not see the quality on the back of the badge..This is just my opinion of course....I am interest in all comments.

Thanks Michael
Hugh Bondy was not the only person to churn out reproductions. I have restrikes/reproductions that have been in my collection for over thirty years. It doesn't make them genuine.
As I said, I just wouldn't take a chance.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 02-10-13, 01:12 AM

Thanks Phillip.....I also believe it is a reproduction..Just was looking to see if there are many out there..It seems rear for a reproduction. I do have several of the original black watch all in white medal....Thanks Again Phillip for the replay

Thanks Again To All For The Information
Old 02-10-13, 01:55 AM

Bill, I will post pics asap, I will try tomorrow AM, if not it will be sometime next week, as I will be out of the area.

John
Old 04-10-13, 01:46 AM

Bill, pics as promised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5269.jpg (48.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 04-10-13, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks. Both your example and michael's example are the 1939 pattern. There is no record or authorization of a brass striking for this badge. Traditionally, Highland regiment badges are white metal.
Old 04-10-13, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the info Bill, so is this an unknown authentic badge, or a reproduction. Is this worth my while to purchase?

John