British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-09-19, 10:34 AM

Default Amalgamation Insignia - RGR

I'm aware that when Regiments amalgamate there is an attempt to recognise cherished elements of the "merged" regiments insignia in the "new" Regiments regalia. Think The Rifles "back badge", or indeed the 17th Lancers "Motto" which seemed to take precedence over all the other Regts badges during several mergers over many years.
I was looking at the Royal Gurkha Rifles which emerged in 1994 from the 4 component Gurkha Rifle Regiments (2nd, 6th, 7th and 10th) and there are several elements for each of the Regts in the RGR insignia which recognise previous battle honours or Regimental associations except for the 7th GR. There doesn't appear to be any "nod" to the 7th GR in the RGR uniform. Does anyone know why (or have I missed something? ) - I appreciate that not everything could be included but there are at least two "references" to each of the other three Regts but nothing for the 7GR ?

And on a separate but related note - which "merger" insignia have been the most historically and aesthetically pleasing and which have caused most controversy through omission or compromise? I always thought that the Light Dragoons badge in 1992 was an inspired choice.
Old 02-09-19, 01:08 PM

These cloth embroidered badges were possibly produced as a trial pattern for the amalgamation of the Royal Gurkha Rifles. In the event the RGR adopted black on rifle green as already worn by 6GR, 7GR and 10GR with black on scarlet from 2GR worn by the Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20A4BA05-A670-42F6-A51E-43541DE80D17.jpg (76.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 02-09-19, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
These cloth embroidered badges were possibly produced as a trial pattern for the amalgamation of the Royal Gurkha Rifles. In the event the RGR adopted black on rifle green as already worn by 6GR, 7GR and 10GR with black on scarlet from 2GR worn by the Band of the Brigade of Gurkhas.

Tim
Very interesting Tim. Thank God they didn’t adopt those!