British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-06-09, 12:03 PM

Default 56th London Division

Three different formation insignia, different sizes, shades of cloth and even outlines of the black cat: any hints as to vintage and place of production?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 56_Div_Badge_1.jpg (56.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 56_Div_Badge_2.jpg (70.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 56_Div_Badge_3.jpg (81.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 56_Div_Badge_3_a.jpg (94.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 29-06-09, 07:35 PM

Default 56th. London Div

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
Three different formation insignia, different sizes, shades of cloth and even outlines of the black cat: any hints as to vintage and place of production?
This was a WWII Div.all your cats are basically the same format i.e. squarer background with "fat cat". the other version is a rectangular red background with a much slimmer cat. The last one shown is a posher hand embroidered one and very nice. John.
Old 30-06-09, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
This was a WWII Div.all your cats are basically the same format i.e. squarer background with "fat cat". the other version is a rectangular red background with a much slimmer cat. The last one shown is a posher hand embroidered one and very nice. John.
John, the last one was bought in Poland some 25 years ago, and therefore it is very likely that this is an Italian theater made badge brought home by a veteran...
Old 04-07-09, 02:20 PM

HI further to Johns reply i can add a little more regarding the shape of the cat and how to date the age of the badge.

In April 1944 when the division arrived in Egypt from Italy the goc general Templer passed comment that he thought the cat was too fat and comfortable looking and not at all warlike ,as supplies ran out he had the shape of the cat redesigned to look more combative , a large new stock of badges were made ( manufactured in the uk ) but i suspect locally ` theatre ` made ones turn up with the slimmer new designed cat as well .
hope this was of interest ,Nemo.

Last edited by NEMO; 04-07-09 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-07-09, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
HI further to Johns reply i can add a little more regarding the shape of the cat and how to date the age of the badge.

In April 1944 when the division arrived in Egypt from Italy the goc general Templer passed comment that he thought the cat was too fat and comfortable looking and not at all warlike ,as suppiles ran out he had the shape of the cat redesigned to look more combative , a large new stock of badges were made ( manufactured in the uk ) but i suspect locally ` theatre ` made ones turn up with the slimmer new designed cat as well .
hope this was of interest ,Nemo.
Sure it was! Could you disclose your sources, Nemo?
Old 04-07-09, 05:10 PM

details are taken from a feature in the

` formation sign ` magazine issue 168 ( OCT 1993 ) and were supplied by one of uk`s leading and most respected cloth sign collectors , Mike jackson .

His research was taken from an unpublished history of the 56th division .Nemo.