British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-06-08, 09:38 AM

Default A/A Royal Signals Regt

Gents, anyone have knowldge of the following. I have several Royal Signals Regt anodised A/A badges ( voided 'jimmy', non voided, silver/gold laurels, varying back plates etc) but know nothing about the two piece version with the slider. For those who dont know the type, it has an individual crown with a slider ( maker marked by J.R GAUNT) which interlocks with two open and 'squared out' loops on the back of the 'jimmy' that it fits into when attaching to a beret. (if you see what I mean).

Is this a one off issue, an experimental or trial issue? Info greatly received guys.

Thanks

Bess.
Old 28-06-08, 12:17 PM
David Douglas

Default A/A etc.

If you contact the archivist at the Royal Signals Museum you should be able to get information on this. This type of fixing was a trial and was a disaster. The 2 piece construction of the post 1947 badge needed a metal backplate to give it some form of rigidity when worn on the field service cap, the peaked cap or the beret. Using a slider made the use of a backplate impossible although it was presumed that the slider itself would give the rigidity - it didn't - sliders would bend and soldiers saw the badge as a nightmare. It didn't last very long as a trial. Regards. David
Old 28-06-08, 03:11 PM

Default A/A Royal Signals with slider

Hi Bess,
Here is some pics of the Royal Signals 2 piece badge.Sadly I know absolutely nothing about it! But would still be interested in looking at other a/a variant badges you know of for the Royal Signals.
Regards. Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0020.jpg (34.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0021.jpg (28.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 28-06-08, 04:05 PM

Gents,
many thanks. I'll get in touch with the museum. The picture above is exactly as I have, can imagine what a nightmare it must have been to use. I suspect an early anodised example.

Other anodised variants I have are non voided under the arm, the laurels at the bottom in silver (usually the globe only is silver and laurels gilt) and variations on lug s etc. And if one is really acurate there are variations in detail on the 'jimmy'.

David and Colin many thanks for your comment gents.

Regards

Bess.
Old 29-06-08, 05:57 AM

Gee, what an odd one.

Colin, can I use it somewhere?

Regards

Chris
Old 29-06-08, 08:55 AM

Default A/A Royal Signals with slider

Hi Chris,
Yes of course, no problem.
Colin
Old 30-06-08, 03:14 PM

The badge was sealed on the 31st March 1955 as pattern number 16685 and catalogue number CB 7246.

A bimetal version was sealed on the 20th May 1955, with the same pattern number but with Catalogue number CB 7247.
Old 01-07-08, 03:02 PM

Default RS two piece anodised

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
The badge was sealed on the 31st March 1955 as pattern number 16685 and catalogue number CB 7246.

A bimetal version was sealed on the 20th May 1955, with the same pattern number but with Catalogue number CB 7247.

Awesome! Thanks very much 54bty.

Bess !
Old 01-07-08, 06:46 PM

just when you think youve seen it all!.i had the pleasure of serving in the royal sigs,and i have never seen this type before,mind you the badge that followed in a.a. was and would think still is a bloody nightmare.jimmys leg would buckle if the squadron sgt.major fixed you with an withering stare,nevermind gently tapping it.its a great badge but not in a.a.we used to try and get old two piece kings crown badges and cut and shunt,queens crown kings legs and then stand in the rear rank [ssm. again]also when a big parade was called every body only had one collar dog.ahh simple pleasures.