British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-10-14, 01:24 AM

Default Wearing of Shoulder Titles by Officers 1881-1922 - help requested.

I am looking for a little education on the subject of shoulder titles worn by officers of line Infantry regiments in the period 1881 - 1922. This is an area in which my own knowledge is lacking.

It is my understanding that the wearing of shoulder titles by officers in this period was not common. I do know that they were worn in service dress in India at least on the khaki shirt.

I do not believe they were worn in undress or on home service dress (India pattern or red frock) and certainly they were not worn on full dress.

Can anyone expand on the above please particularly on the following
1. Khaki shirts and jackets
2. Greatcoats
3. Use of cloth titles during WWI (which I believe were not worn by officers but would appreciate input).

thanks in advance for any help.

John
Old 17-10-14, 02:15 PM

Bumping this up in the hope of getting some input/comments.

John
Old 17-10-14, 02:32 PM

John,

I have a picture of a RDF officer wearing S/Ts on his service dress and similarly a Northumberland Fusilier officer showing same. I also have an epaulette from a service dress jacket worn by a Northumberland Fusilier which has the two part NF title attached. Will post some pics later.

regards

Mark
Old 17-10-14, 06:39 PM

John,

Some pictures attached.

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nfo.jpg (28.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg nfo1.jpg (84.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg NFSTRAP.jpg (58.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 17-10-14, 06:40 PM

RDF Officer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rdf off2.jpg (53.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 17-10-14, 07:10 PM

Metal shoulder titles for officers were introduced in the 5th Bn. Kings Liverpool Regiment- see the article in the MHS Bulletin " In search of 5 Kings " by the late Tim Ashley ( Bulletin 141 of August 1985 ). This title 5/KINGS in blackened brass was introduced after September 1916 by Colonel Shute at the same time as silver cap badges for the officers to replace blackened brass ones.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3652.jpg (71.4 KB, 8 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 28-10-14, 12:30 PM

Although a very few regiments elected for their officers to wear shoulder titles with service dress after 1902, in general it was not the culture in the British Army for officers to wear shoulder titles other than on khaki drill, when in India and associated tropical stations. In part this was because unlike other ranks (after 1871), the officers had regimental buttons and these were generally always visible. Thus shoulder titles were not worn with full dress, patrol jackets, or undress frocks and blue patrols.

Conversely, as a general quid pro quo for soldiers when they lost their regimental buttons, it was agreed that instead they would wear (and be funded for) collar badges to add to the shoulder numbers that they already wore. When numbers were replaced by regimental titles after 1881, the shoulder titles changed format to embroidered worsted letters showing the name of the regiment.

Officers however, had only just started wearing shoulder straps to replace the twisted cord that they had previously had and to these were moved the rank badges, also newly rearranged. It was really only after 1902 that officers began to wear shoulder titles with khaki drill and they were often of a smaller size than worn by other ranks, in order to make room for and be scaled suitably with, their rank stars (pips).

The older two of the Rifle regiments tended not to wear collar badges and so there was a greater culture for them to wear shoulder titles and KRR and RB, in black, are among the most commonly seen shoulder titles worn by officers.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 29-10-14 at 02:04 AM.