British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-07-11, 04:46 PM

Generic 'Staff Serjeants' were also the level at which a sword was first worn by an OR. Indeed the swords nomenclature was: 'Sword, Staff Serjeant'.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 10-07-11 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-07-11, 05:14 PM

IMG VF regs 1897_0001 - Copy.jpg

Again taken from Volunteer Regs 1897 the appointment of the "acting-Sgt Major" from those attached as Instructors to Volunteer units, which would also have been subject to amendment.
Old 10-07-11, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Attachment 43774

Again taken from Volunteer Regs 1897 the appointment of the "acting-Sgt Major" from those attached as Instructors to Volunteer units, which would also have been subject to amendment.
Given his officers' pattern helmet and superior accoutrements would you say he is the Acting Sergeant Major as seems likely?
Old 10-07-11, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
Given his officers' pattern helmet and superior accoutrements would you say he is the Acting Sergeant Major as seems likely?
IMG VF regs 1897_0004 - Copy (3).jpg

Excepting that the wearing of the crossed rifles and crown contradicts Volunteer Reg's for 1897, which states that it should not be worn by acting Sgt Majors, who if I'm correct should be wearing the four inverted chevrons with crown above.
Old 10-07-11, 06:37 PM
Banned

For all you purists, please remember one thing - none of us were there at the time !!!!!!! All we are entitled to are OPINIONS ! David
Old 11-07-11, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
For all you purists, please remember one thing - none of us were there at the time !!!!!!! All we are entitled to are OPINIONS ! David
A very good point! I was just using photos of my Great-Grandfather as an example of a Sergeant-Instructor of musketry in a VB having transferred from the RMLI as 1st class Sergeant-Instructor of Musketry.
In one picture in 1894 he is wearing 4 chevrons with crossed rifles & crown above, he is still wearing the same insignia in 1901 but by 1902/3 he is wearing a CS sash & a large crown on his lower left sleeve (bearing in mind the date you will be interested & amused to know that the crown is a Victorian Queens crown!).
Also, in looking through the books on VB's & pictures that do pop up, it seems to me that there is a lot of discrepancy with what is worn when compared to the official regulations!
Regards....Andy
Old 11-07-11, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Attachment 43782

Excepting that the wearing of the crossed rifles and crown contradicts Volunteer Reg's for 1897, which states that it should not be worn by acting Sgt Majors, who if I'm correct should be wearing the four inverted chevrons with crown above.
Thanks Graham, that is very clear.
Old 11-07-11, 02:14 PM

Apologies if it appears that I'm trying to conduct a war of words here with fellow members, but I am actually just trying to establish, whether or not his rank is primarily a "Sgt Instructor of Musketry" despite his dress.

I haven't got my copies of Vol Regs here with me and am using what I have on my laptop(and memory), so can't be more precise. Anyway as we are now aware these men would come under the generic term "Staff Sgt's", although their rank itself, is as we've discussed.

From another Forum it would appear that under that generic term "staff sgt", they would be "dressed and equipped" as such and that Regulations for Equipment of the Army - Infantry, 1910 states that;- "swords, Staff Sgt's" were provided for;-
Sgt Major
Bandmaster
Quartermaster Sgt
Orderley Room Sgt
Sgt Drummers/ Buglers/ Coooks
Clr Sgt Instructors of Musketry
Band Sgt
Sgt Master Tailor
Sgt Master Shoemaker

Therefore my thoughts are leaning towards that all of the Sgt Instructors of Musketry and Sgt Instructors seconded to Volunteer Battalions, would be dressed as described above and still carry swords.

At any one time there could have been eight or more of these gentlemen on secondment with a V.B. and I'm sure I have a group photo of the Senior NCO's of the 1st V.B., NF at home, taken at the turn of the century, and it was their mode of dress that struck me - being more like that of officers. Plus I also have an almost complete run of the Regimental Journal so I could have tracked the individual down.
Old 11-07-11, 02:19 PM

1st V.B.Northumberland Fusiliers - Officers HS Helmet.jpg

This is an officers pattern helmet of the 1st V.B., NF as mentioned earlier on.
Old 11-07-11, 04:17 PM

There were 3 classes of Staff Serjeant that were in effect a pecking order. The Acting Sergeant Major, Quartermaster Sergeants and Instructors of Musketry occupied the premier class, Colour Sergeants and select Artisans the second class and various Tradesmen, the third class.
Old 11-07-11, 05:20 PM

Just a little bit of information about the gentlemam in the photo from one of my databases;-
1363 Sgt John Topp did infact rejoin the 1st Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers from the First Class Army Reserve on the 24th May 1885. In November of that year he was permitted to extend his service to 12yrs and was transferred to the Depot at Fenham on the 8th February 1886.

Sadly that's as much as I have so far.