British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-03-11, 11:55 PM

Default Dating photo of Royal Signals Lieutenant

Hi have recently picked up the following studio portrait of a Lieutenant in the Royal Signals. I was wondering if anyone onboard might be able to date it? From what limited information I have been able to find I would place it 1930-39? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Conor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 038.jpg (24.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 28-03-11, 07:57 AM
peter616

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintconor View Post
Hi have recently picked up the following studio portrait of a Lieutenant in the Royal Signals. I was wondering if anyone onboard might be able to date it? From what limited information I have been able to find I would place it 1930-39? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Conor
Hi Conor yes it look like pre ww2 and could be mid 1930s

peter
Old 28-03-11, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Regards

Conor
The Corps of Signals was formed on the 28 June 1920 and yet Full Dress had been abolished, other than as an optional item for officers to wear at levees and special public occasions. I believe a Full Dress for Royal Signals officers was included in the 1934 regulations, so the photo would be between 1934 and 1939.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 28-03-11 at 04:53 PM.
Old 28-03-11, 03:06 PM

Harfield "Headdress, badges and Embellishments of the Royal Corps of Signals"
p. 2: Undress uniform authorised by Dress Regulations of 1900 and 1934, when the Frock, Serge and overalls were worn."
p. 6: "The wearing of Full Dress uniform by officers of the Corps was approved by His Majesty, King George V, and authorised by the Corps Committee on 11th June 1930."

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
Old 28-03-11, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
Harfield "Headdress, badges and Embellishments of the Royal Corps of Signals"
p. 2: Undress uniform authorised by Dress Regulations of 1900 and 1934, when the Frock, Serge and overalls were worn."
p. 6: "The wearing of Full Dress uniform by officers of the Corps was approved by His Majesty, King George V, and authorised by the Corps Committee on 11th June 1930."

Rgds,
fougasse1940.
There was no separate Corps of Signals in 1900, at which time they were still a branch of the RE. I imagine that the 1934 Regs were the first time that they featured as a separate Corps, other than as an addendum to the earlier regulations. Their association with the RE was plain and there are great similarities of dress.
Old 03-04-11, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the assistance folks.

Conor
Old 03-04-11, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the assistance folks.

Conor
I feel it is very likely that he had purchased/obtained the uniform for the 1937 Coronation of King George VI. That was the last time Army officers, other than Guards, exercised in fairly large numbers their (then) 'optional' entitlement to wear Full Dress. That did not happen at Queen Elizabeth II's Coronation in 1953.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 04-04-11 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-04-11, 03:28 PM

Default ROYAL SIGNALS OFFICER PHOTO

Dear Conor

If it is of any assistance. Go to my little web site www.signalsbadges.co.uk and look under the UK Section.

The very first badge may give you a little assistance. I still have the tunic and as you can see the collar badges are the same. The only slight difference may be who the officer bought the tunic from as the collar badges were made by the bespoke taylor who made the tunic.

Date for wearing this was between 1930 and the start of the second world war when the wearing of Dress Tunic stopped.

Hope this is of some help.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tanya in uniform 007.jpg (42.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Tanya in uniform 008.jpg (55.3 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-04-11, 01:11 PM

Hi Chris, It was thanks to your fantastic site that I was able to come to the conclusion that it was dated between 1930 and 1939. Whats the chances of identifying him? lol Not good I imagine but the photo is signed 'Douglas'.

Regards

Conor
Old 05-04-11, 05:50 PM

Chris,
Lucky man! A nice Jacket and a Blonde to Model it. Some men have everything!
Old 27-07-11, 11:38 AM

Default Royal Signals Lieutenant

Dear Tynsiderish.

Only just noticed you comment about the blonde.

Yes she is very tasty. Happens to be the next door neighbour. Name of Tanya. No furhter info, sorry.
Chris
Old 27-07-11, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walker View Post
Dear Conor

If it is of any assistance. Go to my little web site www.signalsbadges.co.uk and look under the UK Section.

The very first badge may give you a little assistance. I still have the tunic and as you can see the collar badges are the same. The only slight difference may be who the officer bought the tunic from as the collar badges were made by the bespoke taylor who made the tunic.

Date for wearing this was between 1930 and the start of the second world war when the wearing of Dress Tunic stopped.

Hope this is of some help.

Chris
The tunic is, of course, Royal Engineers, from whence came the Royal Corps of Signals. The officer who procured this resplendent outfit must have taken some 'stick' from his colleagues as this is the only pair of bullion collar badges 1920-47 I have ever seen and possibly the only ones in existence. Or could they be 2 officers' side cap bullion badges ???? David
Old 27-07-11, 04:12 PM
Banned

I need to correct my previous post as I see the collar badges are FACING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In awe !!! David
Old 27-07-11, 04:30 PM

Default Royal Signals Lieutenant.

Dear Council For The Defence.

There could in fact be three sets of officers that wore this particular badge..

1. The Lieutenant in the Black and White photo that started this thread. They do look to be Bullion.

2. The one in the picture I show of my next door neighbour wearing one.

3. There is a photo (Black and White) in Major A G Harfields book "Headdress Badges and Embellishments of the Royal Corps of Signals" Figure 26 on page 24.

Cheers

Chris