British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-07-11, 09:59 AM

Default NMV or VTC

I bought this 102mm x 75mm photo at the War & Peace show in Kent, in pencil on the back it says "VTC" but the label in the car windscreen says "NMV" for National Motor Volunteers?

Old 30-07-11, 11:08 AM

The badge looks like NMV to me, but difficult to be sure at the resolution.

The far left figure seems to be wearing goggles and "oilskins" as well!

In any event, I believe they were absorbed into the VTC in late 1916? So that would make the note correct

There are some visible armbands, and am sure someone better qualified than I can comment on these.

And a Sunbeam I think?
Old 30-07-11, 02:30 PM

Smashing photo and would agree National Motor Volunteers, which were actually part of the "Central Association of Volunteer Training Corps" as of 1915 and as such had to adhere to their rank and uniform structure, hence the officer wearing the VTC armband and rank insignia on his cuff.

I've attached a photo of a member of the Manchester Branch, N.M.V. taken sometime after July 1916 when official War Office recognition for the VTC was given as the "Volunteer Force" and Service Dress was adopted. If I remember correctly the N.M.V. became the Army Service Corps(Volunteers) after reconstruction of the Volunteer Force and affiliation to their regular counterparts.

Manchester National Motor Volunteers.jpg
Old 31-07-11, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stewart View Post
Smashing photo and would agree National Motor Volunteers, which were actually part of the "Central Association of Volunteer Training Corps" as of 1915 and as such had to adhere to their rank and uniform structure, hence the officer wearing the VTC armband and rank insignia on his cuff.

I've attached a photo of a member of the Manchester Branch, N.M.V. taken sometime after July 1916 when official War Office recognition for the VTC was given as the "Volunteer Force" and Service Dress was adopted. If I remember correctly the N.M.V. became the Army Service Corps(Volunteers) after reconstruction of the Volunteer Force and affiliation to their regular counterparts.

Attachment 45158
one in front row a bit norty ...... pioneer badge I think, not a VTC approved badge, and worn in wrong position!