British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-07-11, 08:52 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by btns View Post
Can you post a good scan of the buttons?
This is about as good as I am able to get them:

DSCF5885.jpgDSCF5886.JPGDSCF5887.jpgDSCF5888.jpgDSCF5889.jpg

Hope this helps.

With thanks,

Peter.
Old 21-07-11, 10:06 PM

Thank you. These are KC general service buttons.
He is wearing a British uniform.
Old 22-07-11, 09:26 PM

Default adding a family to the name

from the internet:
We are now at November 2008 and I am STILL trying to trace any living descendants of two families united by marriage in 1919 in Hornsey.

The Parker family, if I have the right family from the 1901 Census, lived at 52 Topsfield Parade, Hornsey. My great-grandfather and grandfather were both called Albert Edward Parker. Other siblings are: Vernon S (1885); Edith M (1888); Nellie (1895) and Elsie D (1899). The address on Albert Edward (1890) - my grandfather's marriage certificate in 1919 is given as 158 Inderwick Road, Hornsey and he was married to Alice Flora Webb (1890) at St Peters, Wightman Road on 31st March 1919.

Alice Flora Webb's family are listed on the 1901 Census at 37 Selbourne Road, Wood Green. Siblings are George J (1886); William R (1888) and Sarah R (1892). At the time of Alice's marriage to Albert Edward Parker her family's address is given as Sydney House, Hornsey Park Road. Her father was George Webb, railway worker.

If anyone has any of these names in their family trees I would be grateful for contact. I grew up without knowing my mother's families at all and, now in my sixties and at last access to the internet, am trying to find any of their descendants who might be still alive.

Kismet

and from her earlier attempt: George James Webb
Old 22-07-11, 10:01 PM
Peter J

Quote:
from the internet:
We are now at November 2008 and I am STILL trying to trace any living descendants of two families united by marriage in 1919 in Hornsey.

The Parker family, if I have the right family from the 1901 Census, lived at 52 Topsfield Parade, Hornsey. My great-grandfather and grandfather were both called Albert Edward Parker. Other siblings are: Vernon S (1885); Edith M (1888); Nellie (1895) and Elsie D (1899). The address on Albert Edward (1890) - my grandfather's marriage certificate in 1919 is given as 158 Inderwick Road, Hornsey and he was married to Alice Flora Webb (1890) at St Peters, Wightman Road on 31st March 1919.

Alice Flora Webb's family are listed on the 1901 Census at 37 Selbourne Road, Wood Green. Siblings are George J (1886); William R (1888) and Sarah R (1892). At the time of Alice's marriage to Albert Edward Parker her family's address is given as Sydney House, Hornsey Park Road. Her father was George Webb, railway worker.

If anyone has any of these names in their family trees I would be grateful for contact. I grew up without knowing my mother's families at all and, now in my sixties and at last access to the internet, am trying to find any of their descendants who might be still alive.

Kismet

and from her earlier attempt: George James Webb
btns,

I am intrigued by your post, and very grateful to you for going to the trouble of finding the info contained therein. However, though slightly embarrassed to admit it, I am having a little trouble getting my head around its content (perhaps I cannot see the wood for the trees). Could you perhaps outline your understanding of how it relates to the 'George' and 'Mrs. Webb', named on my postcard, please?

Perhaps I am missing something patently obvious (which is very likely) but I just cannot see what is probably a very obvious connection .

Many thanks once again,

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 22-07-11 at 10:15 PM.
Old 23-07-11, 08:06 AM

The quote is from someone ("Kismet") doing genealogical research on a lost part of her family.
Her maternal grandmother was Alice Flora Webb, who married to Albert Edward Parker on March 31st 1919. They lived in the Hornsey area.

She found a 1901 census record with the following details: "37 Selbourne Road, Wood Green"
father: George Webb (railway worker)
mother: ?
children:
George J (born 1886)
William R (born 1888)
Alice Flora (1891)
Sarah R (born 1892)

George James Webb was a witness to the marriage of Alice Flora in 1919. If he's your man, then Mrs Webb was either Alice Flora (unmarried at that time) or Sara R.
Kismet's contact lead: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...rofile;u=41921

BTW: Are his collar patches numerals 2 upside down?
Old 23-07-11, 09:33 AM
Peter J

Quote:
The quote is from someone ("Kismet") doing genealogical research on a lost part of her family.
Her maternal grandmother was Alice Flora Webb, who married to Albert Edward Parker on March 31st 1919. They lived in the Hornsey area.

She found a 1901 census record with the following details: "37 Selbourne Road, Wood Green"
father: George Webb (railway worker)
mother: ?
children:
George J (born 1886)
William R (born 1888)
Alice Flora (1891)
Sarah R (born 1892)

George James Webb was a witness to the marriage of Alice Flora in 1919. If he's your man, then Mrs Webb was either Alice Flora (unmarried at that time) or Sara R.
Kismet's contact lead: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...rofile;u=41921

BTW: Are his collar patches numerals 2 upside down?
btns,

Many thanks for setting that out so clearly - I am now able to outline exactly why I am having trouble connecting your info with mine.

If the 'Mrs. Webb' of the postcard is the sister of the sender (George) then his surname surely cannot have been Webb, unless George has somehow managed to give her an incorrect title, and she was not in fact 'Mrs'.

For him to be George Webb, the addressee must surely have been 'Miss Webb', as opposed to 'Mrs Webb'.

All intriguing stuff

As for the inverted collar badges; certainly a theory worth exploring. Might this have been something practised in POW camps, and if so, who would have worn collar badges in the form of a '2'? (I deliberately avoided phrasing that as, 'who would have worn a number two on their collar?' ).

Lastly, Mike Jackson's comment about the POW theory contrasting starkly with the unreasonably smart uniform and studio photo/postcard, is a really good point. Could George have perhaps carried this with him from Blighty, only to end up sending it from his place of internment? It would seem so.

Thanks once again for your input with this.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 23-07-11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 23-07-11, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
btns,

Many thanks for setting that out so clearly - I am now able to outline exactly why I am having trouble connecting your info with mine.

If the 'Mrs. Webb' of the postcard is the sister of the sender (George) then his surname surely cannot have been Webb, unless George has somehow managed to give her an incorrect title, and she was not in fact 'Mrs'.

For him to be George Webb, the addressee must surely have been 'Miss Webb', as opposed to 'Mrs Webb'.

All intriguing stuff

As for the inverted collar badges; certainly a theory worth exploring. Might this have been something practised in POW camps, and if so, who would have worn collar badges in the form of a '2'? (I deliberately avoided phrasing that as, 'who would have worn a number two on their collar?' ).

Lastly, Mike Jackson's comment about the POW theory contrasting starkly with the unreasonably smart uniform and studio photo/postcard, is a really good point. Could George have perhaps carried this with him from Blighty, only to end up sending it from his place of internment? It would seem so.

Thanks once again for your input with this.

Regards,

Peter
POWs were issued with new uniforms as their originals wore out etc. Axis POWs in the UK were issued with dyed battledress, or bd with coloured geometric shapes cut into it.

Late in WW2 British POWs held by the Germans were given uniform that came via the Red Cross. However, I believe that, in 1940, I have read of British POWs being issued with uniform from other occupied countries. Poland, Belgium etc.

I don't imagine that things were too different in WW1.
Old 23-07-11, 07:27 PM

I agree with your observations. Another option was him writing to his brother's widow. I could not find a Webb living or born in that London neighbourhood in the lists.
Old 23-07-11, 07:40 PM
Peter J

Quote:
I agree with your observations. Another option was him writing to his brother's widow. I could not find a Webb living or born in that London neighbourhood in the lists.
btns,

Your point about Mrs. Webb, possibly being George's widowed sister-in-law is more than feasible, and one I had not considered.

Through my own past genealogical research, I am aware that it was fairly common in times gone by for people to refer to such in-laws simply as 'brother' or 'sister'. A good point; many thanks for making it.

All the best,

Peter.