British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-06-23, 11:57 AM

Default London Scottish Badges

I would appreciate opinions on these four London Scottish badges. I have found identical examples on the website for a couple of them, but not the others.

Also, is there an accepted method to cleaning the verdigris off of the brass? Anything that works to keep it from coming back?

Last edited by rob63; 01-06-23 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-06-23, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob63 View Post
*Note to Moderator: I hate to be a problem, but I still can't respond to or send a private message. I go through all of the steps, hit send, but then it still says I have zero sent messages and nobody responds to anything I send. I don't normally send a lot of private messages and don't really expect to in the future, but I would like to be courteous enough to respond to the ones I get. Thanks!

Sorry for that, back to the business at hand. I would appreciate opinions on these four London Scottish badges. I have found identical examples on the website for a couple of them, but not the others.

Also, is there an accepted method to cleaning the verdigris off of the brass? Anything that works to keep it from coming back?

The shoulder titles appear to be kosher - you may find the following of interest:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=65079

Regards,

JT
Old 01-06-23, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
The shoulder titles appear to be kosher - you may find the following of interest:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=65079

Regards,

JT
Thank you! That thread is quite helpful.
Old 01-06-23, 03:14 PM

Everything looks good. The cap badge is not the best strike, but I think it is ok from the photos that I can see.
Just polish the shoulder titles with any brass polish. Always give them a clean with hot water and dish soap to remove all traces of the polish. They will eventually attain a patina again, but if kept properly, no verdigris or corrosion should reappear.
There are those who prefer to keep badges in an uncleaned state, but that does nothing for their preservation in the long run.

CB