British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-05-23, 12:42 PM

Default KLR officers cap badge dimensions

Dimensions of KLR Offr cap badges...

WO Pattern 4362A/1896 Ht 39mm - W 10.07g, Wt 10.07g NS loops

WO Pattern 10042/1926 Ht 44mm - W 47mm, Wt 12.36g E-W blades

WO Pattern 14312/1950 Ht 39mm - W 39mm, Wt 10.81g, EW loops

Is that you wanted........

Last edited by KLR; 20-05-23 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Ht = height, W = width, Wt = weight
Old 20-05-23, 08:55 PM

Many thanks, Julian, official confirmation of the size needed, all I need to do now is find one of the little boogers!
Old 21-05-23, 07:21 AM

One thing that has caused me a bit of headscratching is the KLR Officers silver/gilt collar badge that is moreorless identical to the 1950s cap badge. The loops are the only giveaway, of course, my badge shown on the left, below, was actually sold to me as a cap badge. However, I've only now realised that it is, in fact, a collar badge since I had the 1950s cap badge, shown on the right, to compare it with. The loops on the cap badge, seen on the far right, are noticeably much longer, anyhow, c'est la vie, I'm now back to square one, this 1950s beret badge has gone back to the seller, the collar badge has gone onto eBay, and the search must go on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC14866 (1).jpg (61.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14862.jpg (51.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14881.jpg (33.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14930.jpg (64.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14863.jpg (71.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 21-05-23, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaychris View Post
One thing that has caused me a bit of headscratching is the KLR Officers silver/gilt collar badge that is moreorless identical to the 1950s cap badge. The loops are the only giveaway, of course, my badge shown on the left, below, was actually sold to me as a cap badge. However, I've only now realised that it is, in fact, a collar badge since I had the 1950s cap badge, shown on the right, to compare it with. The loops on the cap badge, seen on the far right, are noticeably much longer, anyhow, c'est la vie, I'm now back to square one, this 1950s beret badge has gone back to the seller, the collar badge has gone onto eBay, and the search must go on.

I only collect cap badges - not collar, ST etc
I can send you the list of KLR cap badges
badges in red = not acquired yet!!
Old 21-05-23, 10:57 AM

Many thanks, Julian, I quite enjoy the search normally, the only problem here, is that many dealers do not differentiate between the full size badge and the smaller beret size version. There is also often no response when you ask for the badge dimensions, I do have a couple of KLR ORs bimetal badges on the way as gapfillers, these are coming from Mike Finchen (QMS) one dealer who actually does list the different sizes.
Old 21-05-23, 02:56 PM

To complicate the matter there are various sizes of post 1926 officers silver and gilt collar badges and I am not sure there are any differences between a same size left facing ( to viewer ) collar badge and a silver and gilt “ beret” size cap badge.

P.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 21-05-23, 04:05 PM

Longer loops are usually needed to fit the cap badge through the stiff material of the Service Dress cap.

For fitting to the beret, shorter loops would be more comfortable by preventing an injury to the forehead!

So a left facing silver gilt collar badge might well be preferred for use on the beret.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 21-05-23 at 04:26 PM.
Old 22-05-23, 07:16 AM

Default loops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn View Post
Longer loops are usually needed to fit the cap badge through the stiff material of the Service Dress cap.

For fitting to the beret, shorter loops would be more comfortable by preventing an injury to the forehead!

So a left facing silver gilt collar badge might well be preferred for use on the beret.

Tim

(yes, I have a bronze OSD collar badge worn on his beret. Major KLR ?1950s.

Peter, I've never seen various sizes of "post 1926" officers silver and gilt"

"post 1926" - ie the later cap badge =
Old 22-05-23, 07:50 AM

[QUOTE=KLR;603126](yes, I have a bronze OSD collar badge worn on his beret. Major KLR ?1950s.

Peter, I've never seen various sizes of "post 1926" officers silver and gilt"

"post" 1926" - ie the later cap badge = 14312/1950.

(I can't find the later badges - too modern for me (but I'll try !)
Old 22-05-23, 07:51 AM

Many thanks for your thoughts on all of this, chaps, I don't actually have any real objection to beret sized Officers cap badges, I expect that I do already have several of them in my collection. What I do need, though, are matching pairs, and I just happen to have a full size post 1926 KLR OSD badge and I really do need a matching full size silver/gilt badge to go with it. As it happens, I still need a silver/gilt pre 1926 example as well, I wonder how many different sizes they came in?

Collar badges being worn on caps and dealers selling collar badges as cap badges have been mentioned many times before in these forums. It can complicate matters for a collector like me, who doesn't really have a clue what he's doing. There is also little info available on Officers badges, which can make a collection of such items, that little bit more challenging. Thankfully, however, there's this forum, where someone, always, has the solution to any hiccups that occur along the way!
Old 22-05-23, 09:36 AM

Two different sizes of post 1926 officers silver and gilt collar badges .

P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6153.jpg (71.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6150.jpg (113.1 KB, 3 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 22-05-23, 11:03 AM

I think Julian is referring to cap badges, Peter, and only the 1950s beret type, if I'm understanding him correctly. There is, without doubt, I think, a full size KLR cap badge (47mm wide) and the smaller beret size cap badge (39mm wide) The postperson delivered my KLR gapfillers this morning, these are ORs cap badges, but exactly the size I need, only in silver/gilt, of course. I've attached some pics, and I've included the silver/gilt collar that I have, only because it's the same size as the 1950s silver/gilt beret badge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC14931.jpg (69.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14932.jpg (69.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14933.jpg (74.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14934.jpg (60.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14935.jpg (77.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SDC14936.jpg (68.2 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by thursdaychris; 22-05-23 at 11:09 AM.