British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-03-23, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneercorps View Post
Thank you for your information Alan, I have John Gaylor's third edition, I went to my local Library to see if they had any books on cap badges, hoping to come away with the Kipling and King V1. I came away with John Gaylor's seventh edition, he mentions that the plastic cap badge came out in 1941
Regards
Gerwyn
As the parachute regiment did not have it's own cap badge until after that it was not until 1943 that their plastic badges were ordered. Over 118k were ordered up to 1945.
Old 28-03-23, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
As the parachute regiment did not have it's own cap badge until after that it was not until 1943 that their plastic badges were ordered. Over 118k were ordered up to 1945.
Hello Alan
it says in his book. In 1941 an Army Council Instruction announced that certain cap badges would be made of plastic because of the metal shortage, Further ACIs made it clear thar the practise, unpopular as it was, would be extended to include as many regiments and corps as possible. etc.
So there would have been plastic cap badges made later than 1941.
Regards
Gerwyn
Old 28-03-23, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBB View Post
here
Thank you Jerry, I can see now where to look, someone went to lot of time in making it, because like said, it feels and looks good, but I'm no expert.
Not bad for a car boot pick up with others.
Regards
Gerwyn
Old 28-03-23, 06:34 PM

Sadly it’s not quite as simple as Jerry’s post suggests as there is more than one type of metal KC Paras repro out there.

Attached are other known fakes, cast copies and spurious examples, all to be avoided.

Last edited by Luke H; 28-03-23 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 28-03-23, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hello Alan
it says in his book. In 1941 an Army Council Instruction announced that certain cap badges would be made of plastic because of the metal shortage, Further ACIs made it clear thar the practise, unpopular as it was, would be extended to include as many regiments and corps as possible. etc.
So there would have been plastic cap badges made later than 1941.
Regards
Gerwyn
They started making plastic badges in 1941 but did not make para badge until 1943. They ordered plastic badges right up to 1945. See Marcus Cotton's article for the full details as it's in the album section. Gaylor lifted his book's content from the magazine he helped to edit where as Marcus went to primary sources.
Old 28-03-23, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
Sadly it’s not quite as simple as Jerry’s post suggests as there is more than one type of metal KC Paras repro out there.

Attached are other known fakes, cast copies and spurious examples, all to be avoid.
Thank you for this Luke, its getting complicated, I will go and have l lay down in a darkroom with a little tot.
His the one I have a better quality fake then .
Regards
Gerwyn
Old 28-03-23, 07:09 PM

Quote:
They started making plastic badges in 1941 but did not make para badge until 1943. They ordered plastic badges right up to 1945. See Marcus Cotton's article for the full details as it's in the album section. Gaylor lifted his book's content from the magazine he helped to edit where as Marcus went to primary sources.
Thank you for your further information Alan, where do I find Marcus Cotton's article.
Regards
Gerwyn
Old 28-03-23, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4063

It is the definitive work on plastic badges.
Old 29-03-23, 12:39 PM

Quote:
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4063

It is the definitive work on plastic badges.
Thank you Alan, I have opened your link but I find it hard to read the writing. I have looked to see if I can enlarge them.
Regards
Gerwyn
Old 31-03-23, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I was with my RBL Branch in Cardiff where we where going to take part in a march, where we assembled before we marched, we were all given this pin Commemoration WW11 1945 to 2005,
Sorry for being off topic

I have had one of those pins for years but never knew who/where it was originally produced.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1945-2005.jpg (43.8 KB, 19 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 31-03-23, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=mike_vee;599923]Sorry for being off topic

I have had one of those pins for years but never knew who/where it was originally produced.

Hello Mike. All I know, it was given to all that took part in the march in Cardiff, it must been on a weekend due the many taking part, I cant remember the date. Gerwyn.