British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 14-11-22, 06:30 PM

Default Odd Pair of Tigers

These unusual Leicestershire Regiment badges landed today.

Both have the strange J.R.GAUNT B’HAM long tablet seemingly unique to the Leicesters.

This is the first time I’ve encountered a WM territorial badge but know of two other BM examples with the Gaunt Birmingham tablet.

Earlier in the year this thread discussed the Gaunts 1st V.B. Leicestershire Regt and some other related examples.

Posted for comments and discussion.
Old 26-05-23, 12:03 AM

A recent addition.

Firstly I’m quite certain this tiger can rightly be classed a ‘cut and shut’ since it has I think undergone a nip and tuck in the Hindoostan (and ears!) department.

However, a few of things still intrigue me:

1) it’s not from usually seen 1916 all GM dies, indeed I can’t find another like it.
2) the sole BM version I’ve found from the same die has its slider affixed to the Hindoostan scroll.
3) ‘cut and shut’ 1916 all GM Leicesters are seldom seen, this is the first for me. Perhaps surprising considering the ease a common badge could be turned into a rare TF economy. Far more prevalent are the various Leicester TF fake dies and Gaunt restrike struck in all GM.

So I do wonder when this scroll was removed exactly, plus, what were the odds it happening to this seemingly uncommon die / GM strike?

If anyone has a Leics from this die (GM or BM) I’d be very grateful to see it.

Any thoughts welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7160.jpg (88.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7161.jpg (93.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7162.jpg (60.2 KB, 12 views)