British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-09-12, 11:29 PM

Default 5th Seaforth Highlanders Glengarry?

Hi guys,

Can anybody tell me about this glengarry please?

Is it right? do the badge and glengarry belong together? how old is it, etc?

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-09-12, 07:01 AM

The badge is described in both K and K and Bloomer as an officers badge ( 1755-1758 in K and K ) worn with feathers behind it to signify the officers rank.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”

Last edited by Peter Brydon; 05-09-12 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 07:59 AM

Morning Peter,

Thanks again, mate.

I have found another example on the web of a very similar glengarry and badge combination. The badge in KK and on this other example is bigger and has a buckle/strap at the 6 o'clock position. Is this just a variation?

I am very curious about the mismatch, on both examples, of Argyll glengarry and 5 Seaforths badge?

Cheers,

Phil
Old 05-09-12, 08:07 AM

Phil,

I hope this link works :

http://www.bluebellmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php ( 5th badge down on page )

The badge I think you have found on the internet is the other ranks version.

I have come across a number of Glengarry/badge combinations at Fairs that are not right.

I think ( but cannot find confirmation at the moment ) that the 5th Seaforths had a plain blue glengarry.

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 05-09-12, 03:28 PM

Thanks Peter. This glengarry really has got me wondering. On the other thread, PJ has given a Churchill reference to the badge being a collar. It has made me think that the whole thing may have been put together as a kids costume. Perhaps during a time when his dad or brother was away fighting.

Cheers,

Phil
Old 06-09-12, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil2M View Post
Thanks Peter. This glengarry really has got me wondering. On the other thread, PJ has given a Churchill reference to the badge being a collar. It has made me think that the whole thing may have been put together as a kids costume. Perhaps during a time when his dad or brother was away fighting.

Cheers,

Phil
The red and white dicing on the Glen G would certainly indicate that it was Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. However, there's something odd about it that makes me wonder if it's genuine - in particular the top row of red dicing appears to be a different size from the other two rows.

J
Old 06-09-12, 12:23 PM

There is a picture of an officer of the 5th Seaforths in Mike Chappells book" "Service Dress 1902-1940 " ( page 19 ). The officer is wearing a plain glengarry without dicing.

(There are also drawings of the 5th Seaforths collars in the same book on page 10 )

P.B.

Old 06-09-12, 04:30 PM

See also Brian L. Davis "British Army Uniforms & Insignia of World War Two" p. 139.

Rgds,

Thomas.
Old 07-09-12, 12:35 AM

the whole thing may have been put together as a kids costume. Perhaps during a time when his dad or brother was away fighting.

Phil,
There are many private pipers in Scotland who play at weddings and special occasions. There are also lots of civilian pipe bands.
All of these pipers wear uniforms based on army uniforms but not necessarily getting all the details correct.
Your glengarry and badge could have been put together for/by one of them.
Eddie
Old 07-09-12, 05:36 AM

The 5th Seaforths (formerly Sutherland Highland Rifle Volunteers) wore the uniform of the Argylls, being based on the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders.

OR's wore the Argyll glengarry with the badge of the Sutherland clan wildcat and motto 'Sans Peur'. Offices wore a plain glengarry with feathers behind their badge.

Adam
Old 07-09-12, 05:49 AM
Former Member

[QUOTE=8thfoot;181219]Phil,

I hope this link works :

http://www.bluebellmilitaria.co.uk/shop.php ( 5th badge down on page )

Wow!

.......... quite a lot of fakes on that site!

BUYERS BEWARE

Andy
Old 07-09-12, 10:44 AM

Thanks for all your help guys. The glengarry and badge etc obviously were together from the word go as the wear and tear etc all add up. I am still happy with it, even as a civvie piper or costume item, I bought it, with no real idea what it is, as I liked it as it is.

I have found a similar example here: http://historylinksarchive.org.uk.s3...s.com/8412.jpg

Thanks,

Phil
Old 08-09-12, 06:28 PM

Default 5th Seaforth

Hi all,

I realise there''s just been a post for another badge belonging to this unit but whats the team's opinion on this one?

5 bt Seaforth.jpg

Is it a 5th Battalion Seaforths or a clan badge? the reverse is a pin fixing and has the tartan so there's nothing to see.

thx Iain
Old 09-09-12, 05:39 AM

Hi Iain
Yes, 5th Seaforths, pre-1920 I think.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 09-09-12, 10:19 AM

Default buckiebeetle

HI, The badge is a collar, if you lok at my pics you will see, the officers silver broached badge is bigger.-might as well see the rest too- cheers, John.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2311.jpg (98.7 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2313.jpg (99.7 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2314.jpg (99.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2315.jpg (99.2 KB, 52 views)