British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-11-19, 09:22 PM

Default Badge and insignia help please

Hello again everyone.

I have just discovered my great grandfather’s service details from WW1 and would love to know, of course, more about the cap badges and collar/shoulder insignia etc that he would have worn.

As you can see, he had varied military service, including service with the 3rd Royal Berkshires Regiment from 1895 (purchasing his discharge). I understand that this would have been militia service and that it was compulsory at that time. I presume that his service with the Royal Berks would not have involved him in any conflicts as the militia was for home defence (you will probably be able to correct me on that score if that is not the case.

I have attached a copy of his Attestation for the Berks. I am not currently sure of the date that he left the Royal Berks.

With regard to WW1, I can see that he signed up with the “Territorial Force”, so presumably that mean the laurels on his badge, rather than Ubique.

I put photos of his Attestation and medal roll records for WW1 up for help on the Great War Forum and one of the members there very kindly provided me with the following information on my great grandad, quote:

“He enlisted to the 4th Home Counties Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, as Driver - No. 810;* he was renumbered in 1917 as* 915412, and was subsequently transferred to the Royal Engineers Railways and Waterways as WR/198165.*

He first went overseas on 21/12/1914 to France. He would have been entitled to a trio of medals; The 1914/15 Star, British War and Victory Medals. These would have been inscribed with his R.F.A. details, 810 for the star and 915412 for the others.*

His enlistment papers may show his pre war trade; Railwaymen in particular were transferred to the R.E. in large numbers, to cope with expansion of the rail network.
He enlisted 5/10/1914 (Had previously served with the 3rd Royal Berks, he purchased his discharge.) and was posted as a Driver to the Brigade Ammunition Column.*
Served in France 21/12/1914 until embarking at Marseilles on 30/1/1916 and disembarking in Salonica on 7/2/1916. He was with 27th Divisional Ammunition Column, which was renamed as B section, 16th Corps Ammunition Column.*
On 14/10/1916 he was awarded 7 days Field Punishment No.2 for "Not complying with an order".

Transferred to the 27th Wessex Divisional Signal Coy, Royal Engineers, on 29/8/1918.* He was finally discharged on 19/3/1919.” Unquote.

I could post photos of the WW1 Attestation and medal roll if it helps, but I think the above from the GWF member covers it.

As you can see, at least four different service numbers in his life and more than one Corps/Regiment, culminating in the 27th Wessex as stated. Phew.

Would he, for example, have worn only one cap badge and insignia during WW1, despite his transfer to the Royal Engineers, or would he likely have changed those too? That’s probably a daft question!

I was rather tickled to see that he had been given Field Punishment No.2, but for what exactly I suppose I will never know!

I defer, as ever, to your expert advice and help and hope I have provided sufficient information for your digestion.

Thank you.

Martin
Old 08-11-19, 11:27 PM

Hopefully clearer images thanks to the magic of brilliance and contrast functions.