British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-01-16, 12:30 AM

Hi Tom

Many thanks for the info. It would certainly be worth trying to obtain the WW1 medals to add to the DCM.

Bad news on the IGS medal, the medal you have was only awarded up to 1895 and the Punjab Frontier 1897-98 clasp was only awarded with the next IGS medal (1895-1902).

From memory, the most likely clasps awarded to the RWF on your IGS Medal would be Burma 1885-7, Burma 1887-89 and Hazara 1891. Would have to check on that to be certain. Obviously it's quite possible that the recipient might only be entitled to one of these clasps.

Like I said though, there is no way the Punjab Frontier 1897-98 clasp could be awarded with your medal. Some really nice items there though!

David
Old 15-01-16, 12:38 AM

Thanks for looking into it, David.

The IGS I knew had a replacement clasp, the Grandson told me he had it done. The medal had been brooched previously. The engraving on the medal and the medal itself is original ( Pte G Abbott or Gabbott 1st Bn RWF). But, like a lot of family groups. Odd things are done or make their way in the mix, but I wasn't going to cherry pick and bought the lot together and keep it.
Old 15-01-16, 12:49 AM

Hi Tom

Yes, that makes sense! A brooched medal which has been restored. RWF (1st Bn I think) were certainly entitled to the medal. If it was mine I would be inclined to check the medal rolls to ascertain recipients clasp entitlement and then replace the Punjab clasp with the correct clasp(s) if you can find it. Chris Dixon is usually a good source.

David
Old 15-01-16, 10:02 AM

2077 Pte H Gabbott 1st Batt'n RWF entitled to IGS with Hazara 1891 clasp.
Old 15-01-16, 10:27 AM

That's the one! Thanks 41st.

I'll have a look at Chris Dixon, David. Thanks for the tip. I may just remove the wrong clasp on it and leave it.

Thanks all,
Tom
Old 15-01-16, 02:26 PM

Nathaniel George Dobson had an interesting service career having started with the Artist's Rifles and ending with the Border Regiment but attached to the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) via the RAF. He died of wounds six days after the Armistice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dobson 1.jpg (79.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 30850_A000452-01442 - Copy.jpg (61.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 15-01-16, 05:03 PM

Actually that Liverpool Scottish is not a fake ! The poor features of the face and the 'flipper' hands have long been derided but after some research I am convinced that they are real and were worn. The original product was made by Gaunt but this one was clearly made by a lesser firm.
However the OR KLR 1896 Patt badge is a fake !