British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-04-11, 10:35 PM

Am very glad 3748 Hussar posted that last shot! all i,d seen was lugs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg recently aquired badges 034.jpg (74.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg recently aquired badges 035.jpg (73.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 11-04-11, 08:04 AM

Default 21st Kc

Hi all,

Thank you for the comments to date . These are the remainder of cap badges Kc all in my collection. The 1st example is the rear of the brass 1916 from the previous post .

3748 Hussar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4080101.jpg (36.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg P4080097.jpg (41.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P4080099.jpg (34.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg P4080102.jpg (41.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg P4080103.jpg (33.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 30-04-11, 10:26 PM

Hello Hussar,

I'm a newbie to this forum, so please bear with my ignorance. Have been left quite a few regimental badges. One is exactly the same as the last image which you depict on the right, ie. 21st Lancers, RL, Crown & flags (pendants? sorry, I'll try to pick up the correct descriptive terminology later). What is the rough valuation of this sort of badge? Not that I'm purely interested in the monetary, as history has always been my subject. I'd just like to know what sort of thing I'm dealing with here.
Old 28-07-12, 04:24 PM

Reviving the thread....

Some scarce titles (no bar along the top of the characters) and a wm arm badge. The first pattern badge is a collar.

The other photos are a comparison of the 2nd pattern (upright lances) cap badge vs the reproduction badge. Note that the genuine pennons are angled for a slightly breezier wind (horse on the move) and the repro pennons are droopy (horse static). The rear of the repro also has 4 loops but the detail is not so good. The last photo is the Cap and collars (2nd pattern).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21L_various.jpg (39.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 21L_upright_cap.JPG (66.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 21L_upright_cap_rear.JPG (76.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 21L_repro.JPG (68.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 21L_repro_rear.JPG (76.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 21L_upright_cap_collars.JPG (54.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 28-07-12, 06:16 PM

Any views on this one please
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1000931 (2).jpg (28.8 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 21st.jpg (31.0 KB, 51 views)
Old 28-07-12, 07:16 PM

Hi Alan,

I would like to handle it to be sure, but it has some good signs. Most of the nice ones I have seen have brazing holes along the pennons that are back-filled with flux (which yours is), dark loops, and the lances cross above the X with a small triangle shaped void.
Old 28-07-12, 08:03 PM

Default Lancer badge

Hi Alan,

I concur with rockape , looks good to me .

3748 Hussar

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan g View Post
Any views on this one please
Old 29-07-12, 11:48 AM

Smile 21 Lancers

HI.
Thanks for your images of the upright lances badges.
The first genuine ones I have seen for a long time. I sold my huge collection a few years ago, mostly to Bosley who was just starting, but there were even repros in those days. I got caught out in London with an upright lances specimen, and nearly came to a court case to get a refund
Where they made a mistake was missing the tail out of the cypher between the V and I. This error can be plainly seen in Gaylors book,where as K and K
clearly shows the correct badge. As I said I learnt by experience over a great many years ,but am always willing to learn if any Forum experts can put me right.
Best wishes, George Davies.
Old 29-07-12, 04:30 PM

Alan,

Something is nagging me that there's something not quite right about your badge, it's very skimpy at first glance.

Compared to mine, which has precedence, (worn by Harry Flinn, 2iC at Omdurman), the one thing that really stands out is the lance butts which are smooth on yours but have a protruding ring on mine. The one onthe left is a repair, one the right its original.

Gaz, nice to see you got an original cap badge to go with those upright lance collars I remember you getting from Canada, I envy you those 21L titles, I just can't get hold of them myself. I''m after the WW1 trooper patterns with the bars, not the separated ones which are also very nice.
Old 29-07-12, 05:34 PM

Default 21st Lancers

Keith,

I didn't notice the bottom of the lance butts before !!!!!!!!. Well spotted.
The badge on the whole does looks Genuine !!! maybe the lance buts have been a repair job .

3748 Hussar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Alan,

Something is nagging me that there's something not quite right about your badge, it's very skimpy at first glance.

Compared to mine, which has precedence, (worn by Harry Flinn, 2iC at Omdurman), the one thing that really stands out is the lance butts which are smooth on yours but have a protruding ring on mine. The one onthe left is a repair, one the right its original.

Gaz, nice to see you got an original cap badge to go with those upright lance collars I remember you getting from Canada, I envy you those 21L titles, I just can't get hold of them myself. I''m after the WW1 trooper patterns with the bars, not the separated ones which are also very nice.
Old 29-07-12, 06:33 PM

Keith,
I have noticed the bottom of the lances on mine are the same as the ones on lew shottons web site, not sure what that proves though
Regards
Alan
Old 29-07-12, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan g View Post
Keith,
I have noticed the bottom of the lances on mine are the same as the ones on lew shottons web site, not sure what that proves though
Regards
Alan
Lew's badge was a postal auction offering as was mine. It's a tough one.
Old 01-08-12, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooke07 View Post
Hi all,

In case you think I just like my infantry here is one I have had for a while, 21st (Empress of India's) Lancers QVC (KK 794). Lance butts trimmed but I think a fine original badge.

Am even going to start a cavalry album! cheers Dean.
Hi Dean

Don't let 'Hussar' steel your thunder lad, its a cracking badge. If you are serious about starting a Cav album, PM me and I'll see what I have.

Rob
Old 28-08-12, 10:55 AM
Member 2010-21- Rest in Peace

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockape View Post
Reviving the thread....

Some scarce titles (no bar along the top of the characters) and a wm arm badge. The first pattern badge is a collar.

The other photos are a comparison of the 2nd pattern (upright lances) cap badge vs the reproduction badge. Note that the genuine pennons are angled for a slightly breezier wind (horse on the move) and the repro pennons are droopy (horse static). The rear of the repro also has 4 loops but the detail is not so good. The last photo is the Cap and collars (2nd pattern).
G'day Rockape

Thanks for putting this post up.

Could you please give us the measurements across the lance pennons on the good and bad badges so we novices down under can sort the wheat out from the chaff?

I have one that I got in Melbourne a while back and still am not sure if its ok or not. Sorry I cant post a photo they just defeat me. Mine is 33 mm across the pennons and 42 mm top to bottom..

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Phil.
Old 28-08-12, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer 17 View Post

Could you please give us the measurements across the lance pennons on the good and bad badges so we novices down under can sort the wheat out from the chaff?

Mine is 33 mm across the pennons and 42 mm top to bottom.
Hi Phil,

I've attached some photos with measurements. Besides these, the crown on the good'un has plenty of detail as opposed to the bad'un that has a lack of detail.

Good'un left. Repro right

Cheers,

Gaz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21L_upright_measured.jpg (50.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 21L_repro_measured.jpg (51.0 KB, 33 views)

Tags
21st lancers