British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-04-08, 04:56 AM

Default Help Needed Quickly

hi guys
i have been offered a collection of badges. the old story! grandad collected them through WW1 and into the 20s.
i am happy with the australian, canadian and united states items, but am unsure of the british items.
i would appreciate any advice on authenticity
heres a selection of them
thanks in advance
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4786.jpg (62.2 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4787.jpg (63.9 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4788.jpg (54.8 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4789.jpg (55.5 KB, 113 views)
Old 08-04-08, 05:04 AM

hi guys
and a few more
BC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4790.jpg (55.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4791.jpg (51.0 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4792.jpg (44.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4793.jpg (44.7 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-04-08, 05:39 AM

Default Cav badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hi guys
and a few more
BC
Hi Badge collector

Sorry I wouldn't touch the Cav badges, to risky without having them in your hand. From the pic's they don't look right to me.

Hey I might be wrong , if the Inf badges look good to you and there goin cheap.

3748 Hussar
Old 08-04-08, 06:32 AM

Judging from the pictures more restrikes than originals IMO.

Cheers
Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.
Old 08-04-08, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

I cannot see anything glaringly wrong with any of them although the construction on a few is odd but that could be a makers variation. There are some really nice originals for sure in there and a few maybe but I cannot see any that I would damn out right (except may be the Bays!).

Alan
Old 08-04-08, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Owen View Post
I cannot see anything glaringly wrong with any of them although the construction on a few is odd but that could be a makers variation. There are some really nice originals for sure in there and a few maybe but I cannot see any that I would damn out right (except may be the Bays!).

Alan
Here are some of the ones i would not buy
16th The Queen's Lancers, Fife & Forfar Yeomanry,Royal Ulster Rifles,North Staffordshire,Cheshire,Bays,7th Hussars.

Malc

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For while knowledge defines all we currently know and understand, imagination points to all we might yet discover.

Last edited by Malcolm Davey; 08-04-08 at 08:13 AM.
Old 08-04-08, 08:15 AM

BC,

I'm with Malc on this one, I don't like the look of any of them despite having braze holes I think they're naff looking at the condition and type of sliders, some look super dark like they have been kept in strange damp conditions whilst others are bight as a button and fresh as a daisy. Although I like braze holes I only do so if the rest of the badge sits right and don't decide on a badges authencity just on them being present (just because they're there it certainly doesn't make a badge genuine) - most of the ones in this collection appear to be the less trustworthy circular holes any way.

There's not a single badge in that lot I think I'd trust in my collection (well maybe one or two [one Beds, Border and broken lugged Norfolk], but due to the rest of them being bad/not trust worthy IMO it would cause me to doubt them).

IMO give the lot a miss.

Hope that helps

Luke

Last edited by Luke H; 08-04-08 at 05:24 PM. Reason: changed my mind about the originality of the Hackney badge on second look
Old 08-04-08, 04:05 PM

Smile British badges

Having read peoples comments on these badges it seems to me that we all have an idea of what's right and what's wrong.
My points are:
How many colonial badges are there which you say you are happy with?
How many of the British badges have you already got in your collection and would you be happy to have some of these badges as gap fillers having read others points of view?
Some of these badges from your pics are obviously to me original items (Norfolk, Bedfordshire, Border) some are shown twice (Worcester 1st pattern).
Some I would not comment on without handling.
Lastly, how much does the person selling this collection want for the lot? Because thats the real important point, if it's a lot of money don't be tempted, as there is nothing amongst these British badges that I would say is very rare
Old 08-04-08, 10:04 PM

hi guys
there are about 150 british badges, 50 canadian and 20 mixed including australia, usa, south africa, which are mostly common ones
judging from the responses, i will try to buy all but the british badges. im not sure how i will go as they want to sell all as one lot.
if i am successful, will let you all know as i will be selling several of them
thanks again for your replies
BC