British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-03-23, 11:49 PM

Default St Andrews University OTC

Can anyone date this Pipers Broach. There is an interesting story behind it.

A3F1613B-5D85-4079-A22C-E405EB571958.jpg
Old 17-03-23, 12:15 AM

IMP,

Would love to hear the story, as it is a very interesting badge.

Terry
Old 17-03-23, 08:37 AM

Terry.

I am a great one for tales about my badges and uniforms. I will tell a little later but for now would like to get some info on the Broach.

Seoirse
Old 17-03-23, 08:39 AM

Default Otc

QC post '52
Old 17-03-23, 09:24 AM

Tayforth University OTC

Quote:
Tayforth University Officers’ Training Corps (TUOTC) is an Army Reserve unit that recruits exclusively from university students across Tayforth.

Affiliated universities include:

St Andrews University, Dundee University, Abertay University and Stirling University
Photo is from their Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/TayforthUOTCPD

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tayforth.jpg (57.4 KB, 30 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 17-03-23, 12:28 PM

Mike.

Thanks for the info. I assume the Broach is still in use. Do you have any idea when it was first issued.

Seoirse
Old 17-03-23, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
Mike.

Thanks for the info. I assume the Broach is still in use. Do you have any idea when it was first issued.

Seoirse
Not my area but found this on IWM website :

Quote:
shoulder brooch, Tayforth Universities Officers Training Corps, Pipe Major and Pipers

A large, circular, silver plated sash brooch. In the voided centre of the brooch is the St Andrew's University coat of arms, surmounted by the Queen's Crown. At the bottom is a scroll inscribed 'ST ANDREWS UNIVERSITY O.T.C'. Circling the void is a large thistle wreath. On the back of the brooch is a large silver pin. The brooch is protected by a white, cotton pouch. Attached is a white label upon written, 'Pattern No. 17624A, Spec No. UK/SC/5126, NATO Stock No. 8455-99-973-9984, DESIGNATION INSIGNIA BROOCH TAYFORTH UNIVERSITIES OTC. PIPE MAJOR AND PIPERS. TRANSFERRED. NICKEL SILVER, SILVER PLATED FINISH. MOUNT: DEAD SILVER AND BURNISHED. COMPLETE WITH A STRAIGHT PIN, HINGE AND CLASP. PIN TO BE NICKEL SILVER 14 SWG. Approved [signature], Date of sealing 27/11/00'. There is a second white label attached, upon written the same information, dated 22.06.88.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30147335

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 18-03-23, 01:18 PM

A number of years ago a military friend of mine from N. Ireland gave me a big box of odds etc. The box had been found in an old stores that was being cleared before the barracks was closed. In this box was a number of St Andrew University OTC Pipers Broaches some still in the "tissue" wrapping paper. Included in the box were a number of Tunic Pipers Highland & Tunic Pipers Lowland, (some had UDR Buttons). There were also UDR Belt buckles, staple belts male & female, Pipers Sporrans Black (with UDR numerals) and Sporrans Brown (WD Marked and dated), Pipers Brogues (Military), Pipers Brogues (i pair civilian), Pipers Glengarry Wool (Plain & with tartan band (hope that is correct terminology) and a few other odd bits. Now for the interesting bit (as far as I am concerned) A badge of the UDR had been affixed to the backing of the St Andrews University OTC Pipers Broach. It appears to have been held in place by some sort of "resin". On enquiring further as to the provenance of the box i was told it was very old stuff that had come into stores when a previous unit had been disbanded and was now "written off". As a collector i regarded myself as being very lucky as I also collect UDR Items. oh Yes I also have the stores paperwork as further provenance alas only one item was missing from the list, A Leopard Skin Apron.
Well that's the story of how i got my St Andrews University OTC Pipers Broach.
Old 18-03-23, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMP View Post
staple belts male & female,.

Actually STABLE belt NOT Staple Belt

Paul
Old 18-03-23, 05:44 PM

Tayforth pipers today wear the St Andrews badge without scoll as collar badge. Nickel plate with lugs to the rear and a kings crown ,even when the Queen was on the throne.
Old 18-03-23, 06:37 PM

Here is a theory:

On the formation of the Ulster Defence Regiment (early 1970s) the formal establishment of Pipes and Drums was being set up in each of the eleven battalions. An appeal was made across the Army for unwanted/surplus uniform and badges.

Eventually dress was formalised and if an item was non-standard it was returned to the stores.

A similar thing happened more recently in the mid 1990s with the set up of Pipes and Drums of the Royal Dragoon Guards, formed from the 4/7th Dragoon Guards and 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, neither of which had Pipers before amalgamation.

Tim

Last edited by grey_green_acorn; 18-03-23 at 06:42 PM.
Old 18-03-23, 08:28 PM

Tim.
Thanks for that info. It is more or less what i have learned

Seoirse

Paul
Thanks for the correction on the belt name. I also realised i have been spelling Brooch incorrectly.

Seoirse