British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-23, 11:01 AM

Default WW1 Death Plaques

A question on the WW1 Death Plaques. Where they only awarded to soldiers who were KIA or were they awarded to all casualties ( ie ones who died of disease or in training etc )
Old 17-03-23, 11:03 AM

All

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 17-03-23, 11:24 AM

From IWM website :

Quote:
Some of those recorded by plaques and scrolls were not eligible for service medals, for instance, those who did not serve overseas but who died in service through accident or illness. Deaths in the period 1919–1921 (possibly later) could still lead to the presentation of a plaque, if either still in service (and even from natural causes), or the death was accepted as war-related.
https://www.iwm.org.uk/history/first...-of-kin-plaque

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 17-03-23, 04:09 PM

So my question now is , if a “new” casualty is identified now, “in from the cold” - do they still manufacture them for the family?
Old 17-03-23, 04:37 PM

No they dont

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 17-03-23, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkharifles View Post
So my question now is , if a “new” casualty is identified now, “in from the cold” - do they still manufacture them for the family?

While there may not be "official" ones today , Bigbury Mint Ltd produce and can engrave one.

https://bigburymint.com/product/memo...-death-plaque/

Poppy and British Legion Wanted
Old 31-03-23, 02:14 PM

My great uncle died of wounds in WW1, I have his Death Plaque, Gerwyn

Last edited by pioneercorps; 31-03-23 at 04:47 PM.
Old 31-03-23, 08:30 PM

£75 for a fake plaque from bigbury mint outrageous
Regard
Stephen
Old 01-04-23, 06:37 AM

Sounds like an interesting story, do you have the details how a new casualty has been identified after over 100 years?
I is sometimes possible to find plaques which have been polished so the name is not readable, might be worth looking around and getting one of those to engrave. The other option could be to get a common name like 'John Smith' and have it removed and engraved. Not necessarily the best thing to do but there would be no way of identifying the original family anyway.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 01-04-23, 09:05 AM

I recall reading a very interesting article on the making of the death plaques, possibly in that venerable publication Guns, Weapons & Militaria (probably long ago banned or given an R 18 classification...).

Fascinating genesis for the plaque and the production of the finished article. Am I correct when I say that at once stage they were being produced in a disused laundry by an American engineer or has my memory let me down...again?

Woolich Arsenal was also making them at some point with the marking W A in a circle to the reverse.
Old 01-04-23, 09:58 AM

HI a friend of mine has a side collection of death plaques for guys not killed in direct combat one is for drowning during training a couple to Greta green train crash and a Guardsman killed in the Easter Rising Dublin , Interesting point u have raised
Old 01-04-23, 01:21 PM

"Death Plaque" is one of those terms, like "Hate Belt" that I absolutely detest. the correct and more respectful term is "Memorial Plaque"......

Paul
Old 01-04-23, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
"Death Plaque" is one of those terms, like "Hate Belt" that I absolutely detest. the correct and more respectful term is "Memorial Plaque"......

Paul
Paul

I agree, but it is better than "Dead Man's Penny" or "Death Penny".

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.
Old 01-04-23, 03:28 PM

To Alex Rice, reference your post about identifying family remains. I was researching the ANSON Btn a few months ago when up popped a link to the C.W.G.C. And a story concerning two sets of soldiers remains unearthed during a construction project outside a Village in France. One set had identifiable clothing. The tunic had “ANSON” brass titles on the shoulder and RND titles (or title) in a pocket. DNA tests were done as well as other confirming details which resulted in a living nephew and family being invited to France to attend a ceremony after the re-interment into a British War Graves cemetery at which a Royal Navy firing party gave the salute. I believe this happened in 2021. Best regards, D.J.
Old 02-04-23, 09:00 AM

Hi DJ
Ok, I understand. If they were casualties but with missing remains, ie: no known grave, the memorial plaque would have been already sent to the family, so they probably wouldn't have cause to get another. I don't think replacements were issued anyway. If the names are unique, it might be worth advertising on other forums as the original plaques may be sitting in a collection somewhere.
Cheers,
Alex