British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-23, 04:32 PM

Default Identical button designs, which is original?

I posted about these buttons some time ago and found only little information since then. I do know that these buttons were specifically used on coats given to Indigenous Chiefs whom signed the Numbered Treaties in Canada and their Councillors.

These buttons were first ordered in 1872 with the design shown and the words 'Dominion of Canada Indians'. Here's the thing though, the buttons on the coats for the Chiefs (Scarlet Sack Tunic) were Gilt Brass, while the coats for the Councillors (Blue Sack Tunic) were White Metal Plated.

The coats were ordered from the same contractors whom supplied uniforms to the Canadian Volunteer Militia in 1871 which I found was Tait & Co. London Army Contractors which does match the same company as the identical button I found online.

The button I found recently has a Smith & Wright Birmingham backmark with a sunburst design on the inner circle which I found matches the design from NWMP and CVM buttons from Smith & Wright, but the Tait & Co. button lacks such a design. Could this possibly be because it was meant to be of a lower quality, meaning for the coats of the lower officials (Councillors)?

Would anyone be able to narrow down the timeframe of when this design in the backmark stopped being used?

Pictures I've shown here are

1 & 2) the button I found in the fall of 2021 front side and back, by Smith & Wright Birmingham

3 & 4) identical button design, by Tait & Co. London

5) Another picture of the button which I found, it appears as though a small amount of gilt remains on the surface.

6) Chief Kakekapenais of the Saulteaux, signatory to Treaty 1 wearing his Scarlet Chiefs Coat (unknown date)

7) Treaty Coat button from the coat of Chief William Berens (Treaty 5 signatory) currently at the Manitoba History museum as one of the only known surviving Chiefs Coats.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20230130_140335215.jpg (65.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230130_140259056.jpg (96.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 43030423_1m.jpg (62.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 43030423_2m.jpg (56.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20230130_165822557_HDR.jpg (43.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1675118443192.jpg (37.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1675268759078.jpg (36.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-02-23, 07:25 AM

The sunburst design on the back would purely be a manufacturer's thing and have no bearing on the use of the button. Nothing to do with the end use.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 02-02-23, 01:32 PM

This has come up several times before, I understand Tait buttons were made by Smith & Right, the quality of the ones I have is much the same.

Rob