British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-01-23, 12:35 PM

Default Two Gurkha Rifles Badges

Hi Everyone,

I have two Gurkha Badges that I'm trying to confirm if they're real, and if possible, date them.

3rd Queen Alexandra's Own Gurkha Rifles
Based off the Regiment's history it's between 1908 and 1947. Other examples that I've seen on the forum, both deemed as real and fake, seem to have characteristics that this one does not:

-Voiding (well, what looks like drilled out holes) in the coronet
-A different design to the "3", others seen seem to have leaves inside it.
-Thick rectangular lugs
-Marks on the Kukris, maybe from the casting rather than wear/tear?

7th (Duke of Edinburgh's Own) Gurkha Rifles

I can't find much on the solid cypher version of this, specifically when it was from. However as it's White Metal and not AA, I'm guessing it's an earlier design or something?

Thanks in advance, sorry if this is a simple one and I've just missed something.

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-9913.jpg (87.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-9914.jpg (121.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-9917.jpg (55.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-9919.jpg (55.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 30-01-23, 04:19 PM

Both look good to me Joe. The solid cypher 7GR is illustrated in the museum’s book on the insignia of the regiment- there’s an A/A version as well - I think they were worn concurrently with the open cypher version. The 3GR looks okay to me - the much seen reproduction of this badge has loops and the cypher is solid.
Old 30-01-23, 04:23 PM

Thanks gurkharifles, I'll have to add that book onto my shopping list!
Old 30-01-23, 04:51 PM

Id agree on the 7th. Id take a punt and say that although its unmarked possibly a Gaunt London badge. A number of theirs were non void. The large 10th on a slider is one.
Old 30-01-23, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonan View Post
...... it's between 1908 and 1947.
Must have been in use at least until 1950 when India became a republic.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 30-01-23, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Id agree on the 7th. Id take a punt and say that although its unmarked possibly a Gaunt London badge. A number of theirs were non void. The large 10th on a slider is one.
Thanks, I'll probably mark it down as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmr-RHB View Post
Must have been in use at least until 1950 when India became a republic.
Good point, I had been working off the date for the Partition rather than when it became a republic.
Old 30-01-23, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonan View Post
Good point, I had been working off the date for the Partition rather than when it became a republic.
That mistake is often made. But there is really no reason for Indian and Pakistan regiments to change names/badges for the time that King George (and for Pakistan even Queen Elisabeth) was their head of state.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 31-01-23, 02:11 PM

Re the 7th,
The solid cypher version was approved by the War Office dress committee on 4th Sept 1959. on the 18th July 1966 the committee approved the modified pattern. The modification was the solid portion of the cypher being removed by piercing. So worn between 1959 and 1966 or until stocks used up..
There is a note in the regimental history that there were issues with the manufacturer of the badge and the old Crossed Kukris with 7 over continued in use for quite a while.

Hope that helps

Steve
Old 31-01-23, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Re the 7th,
The solid cypher version was approved by the War Office dress committee on 4th Sept 1959. on the 18th July 1966 the committee approved the modified pattern. The modification was the solid portion of the cypher being removed by piercing. So worn between 1959 and 1966 or until stocks used up..
There is a note in the regimental history that there were issues with the manufacturer of the badge and the old Crossed Kukris with 7 over continued in use for quite a while.

Hope that helps

Steve
Thanks Steve!
Old 31-01-23, 04:08 PM

I forgot to say that the most common reproduction of the 3GR badge is a die struck badge measuring 50mm high x 43 wide. Your badge looks smaller than that ? The museum dates these badges to 1910 > 1947. They became "3rd Queen's Own Gurkha Rifles in April 1908" but I think it took a couple of years for Queen Alexander's cypher to be incorporated into the headdress insignia. Also, as has already been pointed out - I dont know at the exact point the headdress insignia changed to lose the Royal insignia but it certainly wasn't immediate on handover and I know that the 4GR did not change their insignia until India became a republic in 1950 so I suspect that it was the same for the other Gurkha Regiments.
Old 31-01-23, 04:33 PM

Yep, this one is smaller, if very slightly: 47x43mm. And based off the back and lack of detail, it's die cast.