British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-11-09, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Wear and tear..

This example of the 8th Recce badge is currently listed on ebay. A previous owner has spent a lot of time polishing off the detail on the obverse. At the time, it was probably the envy of others, being bright and sparkly. Unfortunately, the value of the badge is considerably reduced for today's collector.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_500wt_975
Old 13-11-09, 05:41 PM

Bill that is a very interesing badge. I like it very much. I will not be bidding however. I am still on the hunt for a nice original but with the prices sky-rocketing, I think I will just stay content with my Scully marked reunion bagde.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 13-11-09, 07:19 PM

Hi Bill and Ray. Ray, I don't know if you noticed that this badge has no holes for the overlay pins and no overlay. Is it possible that this badge is one of a first batch made without the overlay???

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 13-11-09, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure about it being first issue, but it may have never had the overlay on it.
Old 13-11-09, 08:30 PM

Default Not a two piece badge

This is one of the white metal one piece badges. Never had the overlay. The two piece badges are flattened where the overlay goes. As seen from the back the inscription "VIII Recce" does not show through. This badge shows the lettering through, as well as having no holes for the overlay pins.

If I were an VIII Recce collector I might be tempted to pick it up (as a unique "version"), but as a general collectable it really is little more than scrap metal now. This mutilation may have been just as easily been post war. The seller has a "story" but it is not verifiable in anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2piece_back.jpg (72.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 1piece_Back.jpg (52.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 13-11-09, 08:45 PM

This is the 2nd 'buzzed' badge I've seen; the other, a 2-piece, had the overlay removed, the base polished down like this & the overlay put back. Probably need to examine a few 8th Recce wartime pix to see if there is any truth to the 'officers did it' story.
Old 13-11-09, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Bill, It is unlikely the damage was inflicted post war, as the unit reverted to the 14 Hussars badges, and the 8th Recce ones were obsolete. The 8th Recce badges were likely relegated to the dresser drawer or some other out of mind place. It was quite a common practice to "polish" the detail off of the badge, and in some cases the soldier took great pride in achieving this state with his badge. This is not to say that it could have happened post war, but the likelihood is small.
(I believe there was an earlier thread on the Forum with an image of an 8th Recce fellow wearing the 14th Hussars badge. IIRC the image was taken at a river crossing.)