British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

   

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

 Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH
 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-07-21, 10:45 AM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,283
Default Footy!

Really gutted by the result pf the match at Wembley last night and feel for the last man standing, who was just nineteen I think, but, hopefully they will learn and come back stronger in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-07-21, 11:32 AM
mike_vee's Avatar
mike_vee mike_vee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Uxbridge
Posts: 2,346
Default

Not good to be beaten on penalties but had mixed feelings about a couple of things.

Rashford should have just taken a 'normal' penalty , his 'stutter' run and 'pause' before kicking may be the latest tactic/trick but as the rules on keepers moving off the line before the ball is kicked was brought in I feel the rules on players trying to get the keeper to move before they kick the ball is also unfair. This isn't aimed at any specific player.

Also , some of the England team immediately removing their medals as soon as they were placed round their necks was unsportsman like and disrespectful.

I'm not really a football fan/follower but there are areas of the game I'd like to see changed.

1. Respect for referee : Crowding the ref to get a decision , not acceptable in Rugby so shouldn't be allowed in football. Any dissent - yellow card !

2. Yellow Card : Bring in the 10 minute 'sin bin' , players would be less likely to "take one for the team" (or dive !) if it could result in them being binned.

3. Off side : Any "clear" off sides should be immediately flagged , allowing play to continue could result in a player being tackled/injured needlessly.

Just my opinions but would stop a lot of the unprofessional behaviour that has become the norm nowadays.

.
__________________
British Legion/Royal British Legion , Poppy/Remembrance/Commemorative.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted & Spares for sale/swap
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-07-21, 10:12 PM
oc14 oc14 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nottingham
Posts: 2,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
Not good to be beaten on penalties but had mixed feelings about a couple of things.

Rashford should have just taken a 'normal' penalty , his 'stutter' run and 'pause' before kicking may be the latest tactic/trick but as the rules on keepers moving off the line before the ball is kicked was brought in I feel the rules on players trying to get the keeper to move before they kick the ball is also unfair. This isn't aimed at any specific player.

Also , some of the England team immediately removing their medals as soon as they were placed round their necks was unsportsman like and disrespectful.

I'm not really a football fan/follower but there are areas of the game I'd like to see changed.

1. Respect for referee : Crowding the ref to get a decision , not acceptable in Rugby so shouldn't be allowed in football. Any dissent - yellow card !

2. Yellow Card : Bring in the 10 minute 'sin bin' , players would be less likely to "take one for the team" (or dive !) if it could result in them being binned.

3. Off side : Any "clear" off sides should be immediately flagged , allowing play to continue could result in a player being tackled/injured needlessly.

Just my opinions but would stop a lot of the unprofessional behaviour that has become the norm nowadays.

.

Totally agree Mike. Rugby (both codes), is a much more exciting game to both watch and play than the other type of football . Far greater respect and sportsmanship all round and neither the fans nor the players behave like spoiled children

PL
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13-07-21, 07:17 AM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,283
Default

I only joined the game for the second half, but, stayed up the watch the complete programme until it ended, I have to say that I was at first surprised to see that and then deeply saddened that some of them had felt the need to do that with the whole country looking upon them, disappointing!



Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post

Also , some of the England team immediately removing their medals as soon as they were placed round their necks was unsportsman like and disrespectful.


.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14-07-21, 03:09 AM
Artynut Artynut is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 726
Default

Im surprised to see no mention of the absolutely disgusting move by the Italian player who literally grabbed the shirt of the English player FROM BEHIND (who seemed to be set for a break-away down the right wing) and yanked him backwards throwing him to the ground. Surely a red card was in order?, but not a word said!
Ah well, back to hockey. At least, you can expect that behaviour in the rink!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14-07-21, 07:18 PM
Frank Kelley's Avatar
Frank Kelley Frank Kelley is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 7,283
Default

I have to agree, it is a pity that after extra time, in the event of a draw, the match cannot be decided upon the number of cards given, rather than a penalty shootout.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Artynut View Post
Im surprised to see no mention of the absolutely disgusting move by the Italian player who literally grabbed the shirt of the English player FROM BEHIND (who seemed to be set for a break-away down the right wing) and yanked him backwards throwing him to the ground. Surely a red card was in order?, but not a word said!
Ah well, back to hockey. At least, you can expect that behaviour in the rink!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 14-07-21, 08:10 PM
mike_vee's Avatar
mike_vee mike_vee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Uxbridge
Posts: 2,346
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
I have to agree, it is a pity that after extra time, in the event of a draw, the match cannot be decided upon the number of cards given, rather than a penalty shootout.
Just listening to the commentators/pundits and three phrases are very common :

1. "get the ball to .... and he'll draw a foul"

2. "take one for the team"

3. "a professional foul"

While counting cards if the match ended in a draw may be a slight deterrent , sending the offender(s) to the sin bin for 10 minutes during the game (as in rugby) would definately give the opposition a real advantage and may negate the need for penalties.

Managers/coaches wouldn't be so keen on players "taking one for the team" (or diving !) if they knew they were going to be one man short for 10 minutes.

.
__________________
British Legion/Royal British Legion , Poppy/Remembrance/Commemorative.

Poppy and British Legion Wanted & Spares for sale/swap
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:04 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.