British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-12, 08:20 PM

Default NEW ZEALAND MOUNTED RIFLE HAT

I've been told the mounted rifles hat became the standard head dress for most New Zealand army personnel, sometime around the mid 90's. Anyone know the date this took place ?
Old 07-01-12, 05:22 AM

1993 was the year the Queen Alexandra's mounted rifles adopted the slouch hat, but cant recall the exact date.
Old 01-01-13, 06:24 AM
Banned

Hi .
The NZ Army wiki page has this to say

"In recent years a number of distinctive New Zealand features have appeared. The "lemon squeezer", after being in abeyance since the 1950s, was reintroduced for ceremonial wear in 1977, when it replaced the khaki "No 2" British Army service dress cap. Officer cadets and the New Zealand Army Band wear this headdress with a scarlet and blue full dress uniform. A wide brimmed khaki hat with green puggaree, of a pattern formerly worn by the New Zealand Mounted Rifle (cavalry) regiments, replaced the British style peaked cap as service dress headdress for all branches in 1998. The red or dark blue sashes worn by sergeants are now embroidered with a traditional Māori motif or 'mokowaewae' denoting speed and agility. On the infantry sash the mokowaewae appears in black, white and red diagonal 'steps' and on that of the New Zealand Scottish in green, black and white. Short Māori cloaks are sometimes worn by senior officers as a mark of distinction on occasions of special ceremony, though they are not part of the regulation uniform."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Army
Old 03-01-13, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr Jock View Post
Hi .
The NZ Army wiki page has this to say

"In recent years a number of distinctive New Zealand features have appeared. The "lemon squeezer", after being in abeyance since the 1950s, was reintroduced for ceremonial wear in 1977, when it replaced the khaki "No 2" British Army service dress cap. Officer cadets and the New Zealand Army Band wear this headdress with a scarlet and blue full dress uniform. A wide brimmed khaki hat with green puggaree, of a pattern formerly worn by the New Zealand Mounted Rifle (cavalry) regiments, replaced the British style peaked cap as service dress headdress for all branches in 1998. The red or dark blue sashes worn by sergeants are now embroidered with a traditional Māori motif or 'mokowaewae' denoting speed and agility. On the infantry sash the mokowaewae appears in black, white and red diagonal 'steps' and on that of the New Zealand Scottish in green, black and white. Short Māori cloaks are sometimes worn by senior officers as a mark of distinction on occasions of special ceremony, though they are not part of the regulation uniform."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Army
I think the wikipidea Dress Section is well-written, and would rate it a 6 out of 10.

They lost 1 point for not mentioning the Slouch hat was reintroduced for ceremonial wear in 1993.
They loose another point for not mentioning when the Slouch hat was first introduced.
And 2 points lost for quoting the wrong year that the Wellington Regiment adopted the Lemon squeezer.
Old 03-01-13, 03:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
I think the wikipidea Dress Section is well-written, and would rate it a 6 out of 10.

They lost 1 point for not mentioning the Slouch hat was reintroduced for ceremonial wear in 1993.
They loose another point for not mentioning when the Slouch hat was first introduced.
And 2 points lost for quoting the wrong year that the Wellington Regiment adopted the Lemon squeezer.
Be that as it may ,
the question asked in the opening post , and thus the reason for this thread , was
" I've been told the mounted rifles hat became the standard head dress for most New Zealand army personnel, sometime around the mid 90's. Anyone know the date this took place ? "

And the answer is

The New Zealand Mounted Rifle Hat (MRH) was introduced as service dress headdress for all branches in 1998.
Old 05-01-13, 12:59 AM

1998 is a good answer Spr Jock, and I admit after a bit of reflection, although I was being facetious regarding my wikipedia comments, I was far to generous regarding my rating of 6 out of 10.
I revoke that comment and now rate them a 4 out of 10.
Old 05-01-13, 01:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
1998 is a good answer Spr Jock, and I admit after a bit of reflection, although I was being facetious regarding my wikipedia comments, I was far to generous regarding my rating of 6 out of 10.
I revoke that comment and now rate them a 4 out of 10.
It would behove you in the future to digest the information as opposed to rating the source , least your fall off your high horse
Old 05-01-13, 07:22 AM

Jock, I did digest the information in the wiki link, and rated it accordinly, as is set out at the end of the link that you provided. Of the four catagories available to me, I went with well-written, although admittedly, the 6 out of 10 was my idea.

Now I can understand my humour is not everybodies cup of tea, and I make no appologies for dishing on books or articles that contain bad mistakes when it comes to things I am interested in.

Jock we got off to a bad start, I meant nothing personal by my comments.
What do you say, shall we move on?