British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > New Zealand Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-10-14, 07:43 AM

Here is a bronze collar size Pioneers badge from my collection .Firman London marked .Came out of a vey old collection sourced in the UK .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NZ pioneeers bronze.jpg (41.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg NZ pioneers bronze rear.jpg (37.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-12-14, 10:42 PM

The late Shaun Aumua ,has had an article published in the ''The Volunteers'', (November 2014 ,volume 40,No 2) the journal of the New Zealand Historical Society, entitled ''Maori Unit Insignia 1915-18'' .

In the article , he raises some interesting points in regards to badges and insignia worn by the Maori and Pacific unit's of the First war .

Last edited by pukman; 06-12-14 at 10:54 PM.
Old 09-12-14, 06:30 AM

If any one want's to read Shaun's article I can probably scan and send via email or can point you in the right direction to get a hard copy of the journal that it is in

Cheers Iain
Old 09-12-14, 05:17 PM

Hi Iain,
Thanks for your information. I would be grateful for a scan of the article, thanks. Will send a Private Message.
Cheers, Tinto
Old 09-12-14, 05:59 PM

Hi Iain

Thanks for the information regarding Shaun's article. I have sent a pm.

Cheers

John
Old 31-12-14, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
The late Shaun Aumua ,has had an article published in the ''The Volunteers'', (November 2014 ,volume 40,No 2) the journal of the New Zealand Historical Society, entitled ''Maori Unit Insignia 1915-18'' .

In the article , he raises some interesting points in regards to badges and insignia worn by the Maori and Pacific unit's of the First war .
For those who are interested, Shaun began drafting his article on “Maori Battalion badges for the NZMHS Mag” back in early 2008, although at that stage he had no photographic or written evidence to prove his beliefs.

My own personal view at that time of his announcement was- why restrict such interesting information to just the New Zealand Historical Society, which really only has a very small membership. As I was not a member of the NZMHS, I started collecting my own information on the subject of Maori Contingent badges.

During an opportune posting in April 2009, I announced on this very forum that my own research into the subject was nearing completion, and that - “I have even managed to find who designed the badge for the Maori Contingent, as well as identify the badge as worn by the Fiji contingent.”

My deliberate prodding had the desired effect and an excellent debate quickly evolved between Shaun and me, on who designed the original Maori Contingent badge.
Unfortunately Shaun still wanted to publish his article with the New Zealand Historical Society, so I agreed to enter into private emails with Shaun and we shared what information that we had at that time so we were both on a level playing field.

On the 6th September 2011 (4 months before this thread was started) Shaun sent me the following Private Message on this forum -
“I think I need some help with the badge of the native coronation contingents.”

It was my understanding at the time, and the main reason for me to share my research, was that after Shaun had published an article with the New Zealand Historical Society he was going to post the information on this very forum.

Puk, I am still not a member of the NZMHS and have no intention of joining, but would still like to see Shaun’s article.
You can either send it to me via email/PM or you could just post it here on this very thread where Shaun vowed to pull finger on and finish his Maori Battalion badge article.

PS when I get a chance I will post some photos of a nice Maori Contingent patch from a Pith helmet that turned up at one of the Wellington Militaria Collectors club meets.
Old 21-12-15, 06:03 PM

Default 16/420 Sgt Pehimana, 1st Maori Contingent.

I noticed 16/420 Sgt Pehimana, has been mentioned in these posts, He was WIA while supporting the Wellingtons attack on the 8th of August, invalid home in 1916 to die of influenza in 1918, he is buried in Patea, Taranaki.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (76.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-01-17, 03:35 PM

Default Kingi Hamana photograph

I manage Heritage Services here in Surrey UK and wonder if would be possible to use the photo of Kingi Hamana on our WWI project website "Surrey in the Great War: A County Remembers". The source of the photograph would of course be acknowledged. Kingi Hamana sadly died at a military hospital in Surrey and is buried here.

The web address is http://www.surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk/

Barrie Higham
Old 06-01-17, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybloo1 View Post
I manage Heritage Services here in Surrey UK and wonder if would be possible to use the photo of Kingi Hamana on our WWI project website "Surrey in the Great War: A County Remembers". The source of the photograph would of course be acknowledged. Kingi Hamana sadly died at a military hospital in Surrey and is buried here.

Barrie Higham
Hi Barrie, I'm sure Pukman will answer your request, but you may be able to help my research connected to "No2 NZ General Hospital."
In 1919 there was a Roll of Honour banner for those buried at the church (made by patients of the hospital) which included Kingi Hamana's name.
Does this banner still exist at the church?
In particular I am interested in the central feature of the banner which is a New Zealand Onward badge.

Brent

It is believed that Kingi Hamana was the first Maori member of the NZ Pioneer Battalion to die in England.

Last edited by atillathenunns; 06-01-17 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-01-17, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybloo1 View Post

Barrie Higham
hi Barrie,

Personal message sent

Regards Iain
Old 25-04-17, 08:21 PM

Real or fake ?.scary if the copiers are getting them this close .

I am concerned about the lack of ,and quality of detail on the back .

(trade me auction)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 581276917.jpg (53.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 581277053.jpg (50.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 26-04-17, 08:12 AM

Thumbs up

looks real to me
Old 26-04-17, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atillathenunns View Post
looks real to me

The validity which was bought up at the auction by Craig, who I imagine has seen a few of these badges .So therefore the question .
Old 26-04-17, 10:54 AM

looks good to me
bc
Old 28-04-17, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukman View Post
The validity which was bought up at the auction by Craig, who I imagine has seen a few of these badges .So therefore the question .
The front and back of the badge details are spot on for a pukka gaunt badge.
What were Craigs concerns?

I have however seen quite a few visually perfect fakes of NZ Volunteer badges, the only thing that lets them down is they are half the weight when compared to an original and have a rough finish when you stroke the back of the badge with your finger, instead of a smooth finish that you would expect from a die stamped badge.