British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-10-11, 09:20 PM

Default Royal Dublin Fusiliers insignia

Hi all,

I am newbie here and very green when it comes to the badges, so any help and info would be great!

I am collecting awards and different items from Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Last few months I have obtained some of the insignia and I would like to learn more about them. First at all; are they original period pieces, who worn them and what period, etc.

Lets start:

1. Like I understand it is shoulder title (missing "exploding grenade") what was used by enlisted men. Maybe someone can advise when this type of insignia was in use?

Old 09-10-11, 07:56 AM

Hi, I believe this title was in use from 1903 and had a separate grenade. I think a new title with DF with a grenade between the letters came about in 1910. I don't know if your title continued to be used, but I am sure someone will be along with a bit more knowledge
Andy
Old 09-10-11, 11:12 AM

The title was worn with the "Universal Grenade" by all fusilier regiments from about 1880 depending on dress (the Grenadier Guards, Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers also used the grenade - hence "universal") until before and during WW1, when several of the regiments adopted a more regimental variant of grenade and title in one piece. This latter practice included the RDF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (6.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg user133_pic15759_1262530906.jpg (73.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 09-10-11 at 12:14 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 12:33 PM

This title is pattern number 4855a/1903, "sealed" (approved) for use on the shoulder straps of the khaki drill frocks by all ranks on 12/10/1903 under authority ACD patterns 985 12/10/03. It replaced the title "D.F." previously in use.

On 14/2/1905 an order was issued to all fusilier regiments to add the seperate grenade to their metal titles on the shoulder straps of their khaki jackets and greatcoats.

These metal titles were eventually used on tunics as a cost saving measure (I need to dig out my notes for the dates and orders) in place of embroidered. Thus becoming "universal"

For the Dubs they were temporarily (& partially) replaced by worsted embroidered titles on service dress in 1916. These worsted titles themselves were obsoleted in 1919 and the metal titles reinstated.

Thus this was the all ranks titles used from 1903 until disbandment, augmented temporarily (1916-19) by a worsted title for service dress. Initially used on khaki jackets and greatcoats it eventually became used on all dress forms.

John
Old 09-10-11, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mulcahy View Post
This title is pattern number 4855a/1903, "sealed" (approved) for use on the shoulder straps of the khaki drill frocks by all ranks on 12/10/1903 under authority ACD patterns 985 12/10/03. It replaced the title "D.F." previously in use.

On 14/2/1905 an order was issued to all fusilier regiments to add the seperate grenade to their metal titles on the shoulder straps of their khaki jackets and greatcoats.

These metal titles were eventually used on tunics as a cost saving measure (I need to dig out my notes for the dates and orders) in place of embroidered. Thus becoming "universal"

For the Dubs they were temporarily (& partially) replaced by worsted embroidered titles on service dress in 1916. These worsted titles themselves were obsoleted in 1919 and the metal titles reinstated.

Thus this was the all ranks titles used from 1903 until disbandment, augmented temporarily (1916-19) by a worsted title for service dress. Initially used on khaki jackets and greatcoats it eventually became used on all dress forms.

John
Thanks John, brilliant stuff. The universal grenade must be one of the longest in use little badges in the British Army's history, as it only finally left the inventory in 2006 with the amalgamation of RWF (the last fusilier regiment to use it) and RRW and had apparently been used by the RA and RE since 1880. I enclose a combined DF and grenade which presumably was worn earlier?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a new batch 011.jpg (32.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-10-11, 03:55 PM

Thanks guys! Brilliant information.

Also does anyone know to recomend som publication about the RDF insignias for a beginners?

Here is my next badge what I picked up from Dublin around month ago and came directly from family. I presume it is the Great War period badge?

Old 09-10-11, 04:00 PM

Next a enlisted men collar badge. I presume it is impossible to find out a period?

Old 09-10-11, 04:19 PM

Next, like I had been advised it is an officer collar badge. Is it true that because tiger is top of the elephant, its belonged to the officer from 1st Battalion (previous 102nd (Royal Madras) Fusiliers)? Which type of uniform this type of insigna was used and what period?

How often battalions insignia varied regarding who is on top - tiger or elephant. I presume different badges were in use mainly before 1914 when there was only 2 battalions. After Service battalions were called up, I think most of the insignia was more standardised and made bigger quantities?

Also was any inisgnia in use to make a difference of battalions during the war?

(guys, sorry my mistakes, English is not my first language).

Old 09-10-11, 04:20 PM

Another enlisted (?) men collar badge for left side.

Old 09-10-11, 04:23 PM

This one now, is it early variant from pre 1900 period or the one what was on use during WW1?

Old 09-10-11, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Purcell View Post
The title was worn with the "Universal Grenade" by all fusilier regiments from about 1880 depending on dress (the Grenadier Guards, Royal Artillery and Royal Engineers also used the grenade - hence "universal") until before and during WW1, when several of the regiments adopted a more regimental variant of grenade and title in one piece. This latter practice included the RDF.

Thank you very much for clarification! I have actually one of these "Universal Grenade's" as well but missing one to get the set together (if any of you see one of these on sale, please let me know).

Old 09-10-11, 04:32 PM

and some buttons:

I presume these are not faked... yet.

Small one made by ARMFIELD LTD. BIRMINGHAM. Regarding "Crown and Company" book, I presume was in use on service dress

Next small service dress button from "Hobson & Sons - Lexington - London". Looks used.

A coat button from Royal Dublin Fusiliers (28mm)

Old 10-10-11, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Thanks guys! Brilliant information.

Also does anyone know to recomend som publication about the RDF insignias for a beginners?

Here is my next badge what I picked up from Dublin around month ago and came directly from family. I presume it is the Great War period badge?

The badge dates from c1906 - 1922. The slider was introduced c. 1902 and shortened c. 1906 allowing one to narrow down the time period that these were worn.

The only publications I know of that deal specifically with the insignia of the RDF are two privately published booklets by Jonathen Maguire in the 1990's .

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/books/bibliography.htm

You will get more detailed information by searching this forum that you will get from those two booklets. They are good for illustrating the range of insignia worn by the regiment but not pattern numbers, sealing dates etc,

John

Last edited by John Mulcahy; 10-10-11 at 08:47 PM. Reason: added link to book page.
Old 10-10-11, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaethon View Post
Next a enlisted men collar badge. I presume it is impossible to find out a period?

Pattern 10136 sealed in 1882, new die cut and resealed as 10126a/1899

worn c. 1882 to disbandment.

John
Old 10-10-11, 11:36 PM

Thank you so much John! Brilliant information. I will search and read here as much I can.... mainly from my own sleeping time when kids are on bed.

Here is my today's arrival from Cork. Large 28mm button:

Tags
royal dublin fusiliers