British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Headdress

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-02-21, 09:26 PM

Default Rounded stichened on beret

Hello! I have this Beret Industries Ltd dated in 1955...the question is that, in the place where de badge fit, I find a rounded stichened (there is a little red knot that make me think in a red patch)...but I really don't know what had been stichened under the badge..do you know what could be? Thank you!
20210226_221331.jpg

20210226_221343.jpg

20210226_221355.jpg

20210226_221415.jpg

20210226_221427.jpg
Old 26-02-21, 09:44 PM

I'm probably way out but wonder if the beret was badged to the old 6th Battalion of The Kings Liverpool Regiment, The Liverpool Rifles, a blackened rose and stringed bugle on an oval scarlet backing.
I don't know if they'd have been badged as Royal Artillery during the 1950's - 60's though, or worn a rifles green beret.
Old 26-02-21, 10:07 PM

...or maybe a Medical corps beret?
Screenshot_20210226-230347~2.jpg
Old 26-02-21, 10:09 PM

I wondered about RAMC but did'nt think they wore an oval badge backing back then.
Old 28-02-21, 08:45 PM

I found this thread...after reading, it seems to wear a wrong badge...but is a 1954 beret with the RAMC backing stichened!

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...hlight=medical
Old 03-03-21, 07:45 AM

The backing is tear drop shaped rather than the oval as appears to have been worn on your beret.
I've seen oval shaped badge backings on RAMC berets in photos but only on modern items for sale on sites like ebay, I dont know whether they are actually in use by RAMC now or just made up items.
Old 03-03-21, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The backing is tear drop shaped rather than the oval as appears to have been worn on your beret.
I've seen oval shaped badge backings on RAMC berets in photos but only on modern items for sale on sites like ebay, I dont know whether they are actually in use by RAMC now or just made up items.
I had a conversation with a former colleague who did some time wearing a sandy beret (with RAMC badge) that I subsequently aquired from him. He said that quite often they were issued with a 'piece' of the backing cloth and cut this to shape and size themselves, or got the unit tailor to do it for them. Sometimes these were then sewn to the beret before the badge was fitted, sometimes they were just fitted so the slider went through and held them in place. Even when the 'correct' shape and size was issued they quite often got it tailored smaller to look more 'ally'. I suspect RSM's tollerance to such things varied with unit....

Forgot to add - this is the 1990s and 2000s I'm referring to.
Old 03-03-21, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh kitchen View Post
The oval is not a made up item...you can see two lance corporal wearing on their berets in this article...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-comrade.html
Old 03-03-21, 03:11 PM

I think that the backings shown in the link are tear drop shaped not oval.
Tear drop shaped backings were worn.
Your beret bears the stitched outline of an oval rather than a tear drop shaped backing.
I know that the tear drop shaped backing was and is worn, I do not know if the oval backing is or was worn.
Old 03-03-21, 04:19 PM

As I know tear drop shape backing is for qaranc berets...but this beret is blue, not grey...but I see the images of those lance corporal and for my eyes the backing seems to be oval...(I post a better shot!)
Screenshot_20210303-154700.png
Old 03-03-21, 05:12 PM

I can only say that I have only seen RAMC berets with tear drop shaped badge backing until recently when oval ones have been shown in photos I've seen.
I may be wrong. Ihavnt paid much attention to the subject. Maybe I have only seen wrinkled or badly cut oval backings and maybe oval backings were worn as far back as the 1950's - 60's when your beret was likely in wear.
Perhaps a RAMC aficionado can clarify.
It is worth considering that as the only indication that a maroon badge backing was once sewn to your beret appears to be the presence of one scarlet and not maroon stitch that the backing may not have been a maroon one.
I'll check a book or two, see if anything turns up.
Old 03-03-21, 05:50 PM

"Badge Backings and Special Embelishments of The British Army" published 1992 states "A dull cherry pear shaped backing is worn behind the cap badge and came into being circa 1947-48"

BRITISH Army Badges by R Hodges published 2005 states that a "dull cherry ovoid" backing was introduced in 1956 and shows an image which I've cropped.
I interpret "ovoid" or "egg-shaped" as being close to tear drop shaped when applied to the badge backing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210303_173222~2.jpg (46.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-03-21, 06:06 PM

Yes...you are right!...and I hope that you don't think I am discussing...I just telling what I think from my ignorance...I am sure you know a lot about this (more than me for sure!) and I am really thankefull to your help...it will be great to read what you find!
Old 03-03-21, 06:12 PM

You found the sollution! Thanks a lot! Now I think I have the answer..I looked carefully to that red knot and is a dark red...almost dull cherry..
Old 03-03-21, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubia26 View Post
Yes...you are right!...and I hope that you don't think I am discussing...I just telling what I think from my ignorance...I am sure you know a lot about this (more than me for sure!) and I am really thankefull to your help...it will be great to read what you find!
There's nothing wrong with not just blindly accepting what you're told, the badge collecting world is full of people who repeat inaccurate information because we've been told it or read it, sometimes in books written by very knowledgeable and well respected authors.

Note that I was indicating that I was'nt sure about the RAMC badge backing issue, but there are some very knowledgeable members of this forum who really do know what they're talking about